Are My Lemons Safe to Use?

Last February during my daughter's wedding preparations, I had a lot of lemons which I sliced up ready to make marmalade and froze them. But I never got around to doing it with all the stuff going on. I forgot about them until I was cleaning out my freezer and came across them.

Are they still good to make marmalade or should I trash them? It seems like a shame since I have 3 pounds of sliced up lemons ready. But I'm worried that I will waste a lot of sugar and time only to throw out the whole lot after all my work! Any thoughts, please?

By cett from Malta, Europe

You can still use them. Allow them to thaw at room temperature. Since I've never made marmalade, I don't know how the texture of the lemons would be because they may get mushy when thawed. If you decide not to make the marmalade, at least you can thaw as needed for use on fish or in iced tea - or make lemonade! That would be much better than wasting them.

Thanks, RDLaure. I've been making marmalade for years and no, it doesn't matter if they are mushy. I like to cook them to GET them mushy anyway- just the way I prefer them myself. So I will probably save some time this way! At least I know that they can be used and not wasted. Thanks again.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetySeptember 10, 2009
Slices of dried lemon.
Drying Lemons
Meyers lemons in canning jars.
Canning Lemons
Lemons growing on a tree.
Growing Lemons
Frozen lemon slices on ice.
Freezing Lemons
🎄
🍂