How to Use Shallots

I recently read that shallots have the most antioxidants of all members of the onion family. Can these be diced and sauteed like regular onions? Put in casseroles? How quickly do they burn? By Holly

Hi Holly, Do you mean those little shallots that kind of come in a similar way to garlic or do you mean spring onions (the long green ones)? Sometimes, for some reason here in Australia anyway, green onions are called shallots but they are not. If you mean the ones that look kinda like garlic and are a littl purplish/pinkish then I can tell you my Mum says in SriLanka (where my parents are from origianlly) they are the only onions people used for sauteeing when making curries and cooking of any kind. The large ones we normally use, they only use in salads. So you could use them in any cookiing - of course especially curries :) Our Thai friend uses them alot in salads usually with a Thai dressing, and also fried crisp and sprinkled on top of rice and noodle dishes. Hope this helps.

ps now that I know they have lots of antioxidants I'll use them more too :)

I use shallots a lot, grow them and harvest, they keep all year . I use them like a regular onion,the flavor is not as strong as a regular onion, and being smaller they take more. but I really like them and they are great in salads and I use them anywhere I use a regular onion.

Shallots are in the garlic family I think. I love them. Didn't know about how good they are for you though. I dice them really small and use in sauces for steak or roast. I also put in salad if I have not purple onions. They have such a sweet mild flavor, sort of onion and mild garlic mixed together. I wish I could grow them since they are expensive compared to regular onions. But so tasty and now good for me too. Great

In the U.S. we call green onions scallions. I used to get the 2 mixed up all the time.

Hi,

Use shallots anywhere you would use onions. They can be sauteed for the best taste. They are wonderful. Here's a site that explains about them.

http://www.magicvalleygrowers.com/shallots/

They do have a bit of a garlicky taste as well as onion.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
Mosquito Repellent Coil
Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets
Freezing Whipped Cream. Making Whipped Cream
Freezing Whipped Cream
🎄