Printing In Black and White

I print from my computer regularly. The cost of ink really displeases me, so to save I print only in black and white and do not use the color at all.

To do this, I go up to the very top left section of the monitor and click on file. From that menu, I click on print preview. On that screen I click print on the upper left corner of the screen which brings in another screen on which differing options are offered; one of which is print all in black and white.

On the same screen you are offered the option for quick print which gets it done really quick. That's all there is to it. Color cartridges are more expensive and every penny saved helps. I also reuse my paper if only printed on one side.

By Angellface from Seymour, CT

You can also use 'Fast Draft' mode and save even more time and ink. If you are only printing text, the difference is pratically unnoticilbe. Also, never pay more for specialty 'Inkjet Paper'. I use regular photocopier paper and it works perfectly and is MUCH cheaper.

You can also buy a refill kit for most of today's cartridges for about 9 dollars ... I think Nu-Kote makes the ones at walmart..the only ones that I have found that you can not refill are some of the Dell Printers... Just write down the cartridge # next time you go to the store and see if your's is refillable...It really isn't that hard to refill them, they come with instructions.

When you select "colour" on print in greyscale

In Windows, you can have multiple "printers" established (yes, even multiple of the same printer). Once you have them established you can tweak each "printer" to have not only the settings you want but you can name it as well. I have several for my Deskjet, one of them is set to B&W and Economode, one is set to color, etc.

That way you can simply select the printer and get the thriftiness you want without going through all the extra screens everytime you print.

Another way to save is to invest in a black and white laser printer. If you watch for them, you can find them for under $50. Here are various examples:

Laser printers use powdered toner rather than liquid ink. The toner cartridges can cost as much as $60, but one usually lasts us over a year. We figured out how to open one up, so now we just buy the cheapest toner we can find (around $30) and carefully pour it into the old cartridge.

Thanks for your information. I don't know this technique.

ComputersApril 28, 2006
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online