Ideas for Landscaping a Steep Hill

Does anyone have any tips/advice for landscaping a steep wide hill in a backyard? Thanks!

By Marie from MA

I've seen some really cool waterfalls where you add rocks and make a stream that flows down to follow the natural flow of the land. You'd need some kind of water pump, but otherwise, it's just the boulders, rocks, etc.

My suggestion for you is this: get plants with very low maintenance, perhaps rosemary and daylilies; daylillies will thrive anywhere; and if you get the stella d'oro's they will bloom repeatedly. However, many of the other daylilies are a lot taller, and they still make an awesome display of beauty. I personally like the foliage of them also!

You might also go and check in your area for how the steep sides of the highways or the freeways are landscaped. This might give you some great ideas as well!

Another idea is to call your local county extension office, which is manned by master gardeners; they might have excellent ideas, and being familiar with your local area, would have great ideas re which plants would work best in your area.

Do you want to landscape the entire hill the same way? How about terracing and then planting in the terraces? Or doing various sections of the steep hill in smaller individual "gardens"? where you can enjoy each one on a bench etc?

(I have a secret garden that I love!)

Home and Garden Gardening LandscapingSeptember 14, 2010
Two Little Girls in Nerds Box Costume Next to Wonka
Willy Wonka Costume Ideas
Sun Tea on Deck
Making Sun Tea
35th Birthday Party
35th Birthday Party Ideas
Canape with Egg and Vegetables
Easter Brunch Ideas