Growing a "Tractor Seat Plant" (Ligularia)

Category Landscaping
This Australian native is also known as the tractor seat plant, Ligularia is grown for its attractive foliage. This guide contains information about growing a "tractor seat plant" (Ligularia).

Could you tell me how to germinate seeds from a tractor seat plant?

By Donna

Answers

Best Answer

Here is some information that might be helpful. It looks like there are two plants names that are both called "Tractor Seat" plants. Ligularia and Farfugium. Both of these are part of the Asteraceae family and look to be closely related.

www.lsuagcenter.com/.../page1502206112347

en.wikipedia.org/.../Farfugium_japonicum

Hopefully, this will help you grow your seeds.

I think this plant is beautiful. Unfortunately, where I would like to put the plant gets too much sun. Can you recommend something else, similar, to put in two large pots?

Thank you.

Answers

There are elephant ear plants. They like sun. www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../growing-elephant-ear-plants.htm

Happy planting!!

You can use a plant called an alocasia. There is an article about it here. www.coastalbreezenews.com/.../

is this for indoors or outdoors?

hostas are nice plants, but not great with TOO much sun. Great for morning sun but afternoon shade

here's a list of lants that do well in sun

yarrow.
shasta daisy.
coreopsis.
purple coneflower.
blanket flower.
Russian sage.
butterfly weed.

lavender.

Thank you !

Thank you !

I bought a tractor seat plant at a nursery in the indoor plant section.
It isn't doing well and I wondered if it is supposed to be outside.

Answers

The tractor seat plant is an outdoor plant. It is also known as Ligularia or Farfugium.

I always thought these were weeds and I have been calling them elephant ears, which I now learned are totally different and I really have tractor seats. Wow!!

I just learned something from this post!

They prosper in partial sun, much to my dismay because they crowd out the flowers on the side of my house :(

This site says they can be contained and grown indoors. Who knew!

There is some interesting info on them here: httpp://www.learn2grow.com/plants/farfugium-japonicum-var-giganteum/

Hope this helps you save yours!

Pinterest has lots of great pix of them in pots inside.

It is an outdoor plant. It can get 3 feet tall and very wide, and has yellow blooms.

I have seen these growing; never owned one but it looks a nice background plant - outdoors. I have been reading about people growing them in containers but have not found nursery site that states anything about using a container - all say outdoors.

• Web sites say it requires consistent moisture and will wilt if allowed to dry out.
  • That looks like what has happened to your plant.
  • Hope you have a good place in your yard to plant this as it appears it will also be lovely when it blooms.
  • I believe if you are going to try to grow this as a container plant, you will need a larger pot - one with good drainage. It seems that it grows better with a mixture of sun and shade.
  • It is noted that it may wilt during the day but perk up at night. Some people say it grows well with bright light and just shade.
  • There are several types of this plant so you may have to wait until your plant flowers to find out the correct name but care is the same for all types.
  • Check some of these sites.
  • davesgarden.com/.../
  • www.thespruce.com/leopard-plants-shade-plants-2131893