Growing Gardenias

Category Shrubs
Prized for their enchanting fragrance and creamy white flowers gardenias may be on your list of plants to try growing. This is a guide about growing gardenias.

When plants are in pots, they can become root bound and may need new soil and a larger pot. This is a guide about leaves on gardenia turning brown.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Encouraging a potted gardenia to bloom may require giving it some acidic fertilizer. This is a guide about gardenia not blooming.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The fragrant, white flowers of the gardenia bush make a beautiful garden photo subject. This page contains gardenia photos.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Gardenias make wonderful houseplants. Proper care for you gardenia will ensure it is healthy enough to flower. This is a guide about indoor gardenia care.

I've tried, unsuccessfully, to keep a gardenia alive. I've read all the tips, etc. and each time I plant a gardenia it lives 3-6 months, then dies. I love gardenias. Please help.

By Diane

Answers

I grow my gardenias in self watering containers; all you have to do is keep the container full. They don't like to dry out or be over watered, thus the self watering container. Get the kind that has a tube that you put the water in. It fills the reservoir in the bottom. The gardenia is a very thirsty plant. I also sprinkle tea and coffee grounds on the soil to keep the leaves green. good luck.

Diane: you failed to say where you live but here in south GA. I plant mine in the ground and mulch it against dry weather water a lot and feed regularly at least once a month during the growing and flowering season. I use 10.10.10 or liquid fertilizer and watch them grow. If in a container make sure it gets plenty of water & food.

I have the following problems with my gardenia. Some leaf edges are turning brown while the rest of the tree looks healthy. And, secondly some buds are not opening although the rest on same tree are doing fine and opening to full blooms. These unopened buds become white as if they are trying to open, but they don't in the end. (See the picture, it shows one flower is fine while the upper one is not open.)

By lahib

Are these thrips on this gardenia? What is the best way to get rid of them?

By Joan N

Some of the leaves of my gardenia tree come out curling and not as smooth surfaced as the other leaves. Can anyone tell me why is that? I'm attaching a photo of the leaves.

By lahib

I put my gardenia plant in it's pot outside for the summer and it was doing fine. But now something is chewing on it's leaves. Can anyone tell me what it could be and what I can do to stop it?

By Jennifer from Topeka, KS

Does anyone know how to grow a gardenia in a pot? I have tried a few times in sun, shade, part sun, etc. and they never seem to flower very long or last. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 11

By Nancy from Santa Monica, CA

Our well established Gardenia has begun to turn yellow and the buds are not opening. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to remedy it?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By mimiface from Paradise, CA

Answers:

We recently purchased a Gardenia plant and it has almost died within about 2 days of purchase. What am I doing wrong? We live in Vegas, so it's been very hot, but the instructions say "full sun". Help? I'm not good with plants.

By Susan B. from Las Vegas

Answers:

Growing Gardenias

Sounds like too much sun and high temperatures is probably the problem.

By Anonymous