Indoor Gardenia Care

Category Indoor
gardenia in pot
Gardenias make wonderful houseplants. Proper care for you gardenia will ensure it is healthy enough to flower. This is a guide about indoor gardenia care.

I have an indoor gardenia that I can't get to bloom. I have read that pruning at the end of the season helps, but I'm not sure how to do it or when. The plant is in good health generally.

I've had it for three years and it's gotten very tall, but it hasn't bloomed since I first got it. It's also getting very leggy. The only other issue I have with it is periodic pest issues. The pests I see usually look like fruit flies and go away with soap pest treatment.

Thank you for your help!

By FeBe from New York, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

This might sound off the wall, but it works like you would not believe. I have had a Gardenia plant know for 11 years. The first 9 years it would bloom and it would grow about an inch a year. I would fertilize it and water it faithfully. It had maybe 20 or thirty blooms on it and the blooms would turn and fall off after a couple of days. Then by accident I watered it with Urine. You can not believe what happened in a few days. The plant looked a lot better and started to grow, I mean grow. The Gardenia bush has grown over 1 1/2 feet in about 6 months. When it started to bloom .I had blossoms that where as big as a tennis ball and I counted them. The Gardenia bush produced 130 blossoms over one month. i can hardly wait till it blooms next year. I had taken pictures of the Gardenia in full bloom, but my computer crashed and I lost all my pictures. I will post the pictures in 2011 when it blossoms again. Just for information purposes. Urine is very acidity and Gardenia plants love it a lot. You do not have to buy plant food for the Gardenia. Try it. You will love the results.

I read your comment about adding urine to the gardenia tree. Is it a tree planted outdoors or indoors? I think if it's indoors it will smell at the end of the day! Plus, how is it watered with urine? You're doing it with the fertilizers or just as watering the plant regularly and how often?

I have a 5 ft gardenia tree I would like to bring indoors, we live in the northeast and it would never survive 0 temps. Any information on keeping this beautiful tree alive would be greatly appreciated

By genss

What is the best way to take care of a gardenia indoors?

By lahib