Growing Ginger

Growing ginger begins with a trip to the produce section at the market. This is a page about growing ginger.

Start ginger from 1 to 1 1/2 inch long rhizomes (roots) that contain at least one eye. If you're using ginger roots from the grocery store or specialty store, look for firm, smooth roots with plenty of "eyes."

ginger root, slices, and grated

I started a ginger plant from a root. It's indoors now ( I live in Montana). It's about 3 feet tall with one stem and several leaves and looks healthy, but not very pretty. Can I cut the top and will this make it bush out some? Thank you for your help.

By Annette S

Answers

I live in zone 7B-8A and many gingers will overwinter in the ground here. There are some that are more tropical. But, as far as I know they all need filtered light, and lots of humidity. In your climate I would put the pot in a large saucer filled with pebbles, place a couple of long plant supports (taller than the plant) in the pot and place a clear plastic bag over it, put it in an east window with morning light only, and water when dry. Don't fertilize in the winter. This should create a greenhouse for your plant until you can put it outside, under a tree, in summer. But, if it's happy, they can get very big.

How do I grow ginger?

By Margaret from Victoria

Answers

Hi Margaret, I live in Qld which probably will make it easier to grow. You can start a ginger plant by buying some ginger and leaving it in a warm spot inside, I leave mine in a bowl in the kitchen. it will after a while start to shoot. Cut this off with about 1/2 inch of plant behind it. Leave that to heal or dry out along the cut line. Get a planter pot when you have say 4-6 pieces struck, give them plenty of room to grow, make a hole in the potting mix place it in with the green sprout up just cover.

Water in and wait it will start to grow, but you must only have dappled light, it will dry out too much out in the sun. Place under some bushes in a shelter spot. Don't forget to water it it can take up to a year to harvest it. Then you can start all over again.

Can I grow ginger from an existing piece of ginger purchased from fruit grocery shop?

By Jo

Answers

Yes you can. Make sure it is fresh and has "buds" on it. You can just lay it on top of the soil and it will grow. For in-depth info go to tropicalpermaculture.com where they have a lot of great info about growing ginger and other plants from produce you buy at the store.

The plant in the lower right is ginger I grew by cutting a piece and sticking it in the ground. Be patient. It took mine several months to get to this point.

How do I plant Ginger to eat?

Hardiness Zone: 11

By Antoinette Perry from HI

Answers

Some of the things I grow from the grocery store are green onions, I plant the bottom inch with the roots, garlic if my red, brown and white onion have sprouted and of course potatoes, growing sweet potatoes are a little tricky you have to have them sprout then snap off a 3 in sprout set it in a glass of water, once roots form then you get to plant those, I have started basil rosemary and all types of tomatoes, I just put the seeds on a paper towel to dry and then plant them, several difference squashes and pumpkin from saved seeds. In fact 1 of my peach trees is from a store bought peach. I have done ginger also in fact I have 1 sprout in the kitchen that needs to be potted.

You can grow your own ginger from a root purchased at the market. Not only will you be able to enjoy the blooms, the new roots can be used for cooking or medicinally.

This is a page about how to grow your own ginger.

Grow Your Own Ginger - ginger bulb

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodFebruary 25, 2012
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-10 16:58:54 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️