Recipes Using Dry Milk

I have a few packages of Dry Milk that my Mom gave me, and I have no clue what to do with them. Any ideas for usage? I'd hate to just pitch them. And if a recipe calls for milk, can I use this (already made) instead of regular milk?

Thanks!

katieandjeffy from Pennsylvania

Absolutely - just mix it up and use it in recipes, you'll never know the difference. Anything like waffles, or baked goods that use milk would be un-noticeable! I also use it dry in my coffee or tea when I don't have fresh milk instead of those corn syrupy 'fake' coffee creamers, much less calories, and healthier for you. You could also donate it to a food bank, it would definitely be helpful! Anne

When that peanut butter jar is empty, here is what we do. Add dry milk and stir! The peanut butter mixes with the dry milk and cleaning the jar is so easy. We add raisins, chocolate chips, cheerios, dry oatmeal, bite-size apple pieces, etc etc. Add more peanut butter if needed to keep moist. I usually have to save up enough jars so each of our kids can have one. They make their own mix and take it to school for cold lunch, all mixed in the pb jar.

powdered milk is excellent in the bath tub. Makes a very good milk bath good for the skin.

Dry milk is great on hand for emergencies, we mix it up when whole milk for the baby is getting low, or use it exclusively for baking (we go through 1 gallon every two-three days, especially when I make cc cookies!) You can use it as a base for homemade hot cocoa (1/3 cup for one serving) and mix it with cocoa and sugar (I just found out I lost my favorite recipe....or I'd share that!) And you can replace it in any recipe...check out Carnation's website for some great ones!

check this out if you get the chance. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilkrecipes.htm

i hate the taste of powdered milk, but thats all i use when i bake and cook, you cant tell the difference.

Yep, I use it in instant mashed potatoes, gravy, and other such things, we rarely use regular milk here, so it is VERY handy!! (When I use it in the potatoes, I also add dolop of Mayo, or sour cream or even a wide slice of cream cheese..makes them smooth and creamy)

Oh my! I didn't realize how economical this stuff was...LOL! Thank you all very much! That website was really cool! Thank you! Hmmm....maybe I'll go experiment...LOL!

You can always use it this way. Half dry reconstituted with water mixed with half regular milk and serve it to the family. If anyone says it tastes funny, add a smidge of vanilla flavoring, stir, and try re-serving it.

i especially like the replies you got that used the powdered milk in the bath & in the instant mashed potatoes --

aside from those mentioned the buzzwords here would be "stray cats" !

enjoy some cocoa !

http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/content.cfm?series=3&item=208

Homemade Cocoa Mix

5 cups nonfat dry milk

1 cup cocoa

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Combine all ingredients together in a large container. Mix well. Store in a clean container with a tight fitting lid.

Yield: 7-1/2 cups of mix

To Make Hot Cocoa

Mix 1/4 cup of Cocoa Mix (above) with 1/4 cup of tap water. Stir until well mixed. Finish filling cup with boiling water. Mix well.

Makes 1 cup

thanks for posting the hot cocoa mix....all the other ones I found had the coffee creamer or nesquick....I never have these on hand!

With all the talk about the bird flu pandemic, you could begin your stash of non-perishables with the dry milk, which is on all the lists I've seen about what we should be storing. The hillbilly housewife website looks interesting. Also you could just have a wonderful relaxing milk bath and forget about everything...sounds good, doesn't it??

I have a pal who said she soaks in the tub after running a warm bath with equal amounts of sea salt, epsom salt, dry milk, and baking soda. It keeps the skin soft. Can add any essential oils that you desire, too. Then kick back, relax & forget all your troubles...

You can definately use Reconstituted powdered milk in place of reg milk in recipes. The only prob with this is the taste. Sometimes you can taste a difference so it depends on the recipe, etc. I happen to not like powdered milk at all but have two good recipes that I like very much. The first is what my family calls "baby candy." You use approx 1 C. powdered milk, 1/2 C peanut butter and 1/4 C honey. Mix well and either roll into balls or just spread in a non stick sprayed plastic container (like the throw away ziplock ones -this won't ruin container, fyi.) Then freeze and eat. Cut into squares if you used the container method. These taste the best right out of the freezer and are a good "power snack". The other recipe if for hot chocolate. I just moved and don't have my recipes out yet but you can google something like -hot chocolate recipe powdered milk- . Maybe even look on allrecipes.com. I would suggest looking for one that just has cocoa, sugar and powdered milk with the option of adding marshmallows. There are lots of recipes that also include coffee creamer which i think would be delicious, but really packs in the calories and adds an additional expense. If you can't find one, you are welcome to email me and when I get to my recipes I can give you my recipe for hot chocolate. trishaking @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceMarch 15, 2006
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎉
🎄