Recipes Using Shredded Wheat

One use for the crumbs at the bottom of your box of shredded wheat is as a topping for quick breads. This is a page about recipes using shredded wheat.

I made this recipe up for two reasons: I love shredded wheat cereal so much, and I really wanted cookies the other day. I didn't have enough flour or butter. These use up finely and coarsely pulsed shredded wheat cereal with an addition of applesauce. The cereal makes them have a wonderful consistency; crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. I've realized that getting desperate to make things can result in making wonderful things you've never had before. These cookies are a big win!

Of course, if you have enough flour and butter, you can adjust this recipe to add more. I just did not have enough of either and these turned out great!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 20 cookies

• 4 cups unsweetened shredded wheat cereal
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a food processor, pulse 2 cups of the cereal until it's a fine powder. Transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Now pulse the other 2 cups of cereal until coarse with large chunks. This will give the cookies a lovely crispness. Add to bowl.
  3. Whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  4. In another bowl, mix together butter, applesauce, sugar, and brown sugar.
  5. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
  6. Pour dry ingredients into wet mixture. Stir well.
  7. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
  8. Line some baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop mounds of dough onto sheets.
  9. Flatten mounds into discs, then pop in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
  10. Allow to cool completely before enjoying. These cereal cookies go great with milk, of course! ;)

I have finally found a use for the "stuff" at the bottom of shredded wheat boxes. It is a great topping for quick breads, like banana, zucchini, etc. It adds a bit of sweetness and a CRUNCH. Just sprinkle on the batter before baking. It also good sprinkled on oatmeal.

By Cyndi Dann from Frankford Twp. NJ

Answers

Anonymous

I just include the crumbs in the final bowl of cereal.

This old fashioned breakfast dish is a yummy alternative to eggs and toast. This page contains recipes for shredded wheat and eggs.

Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a recipe that calls for the "leftovers" from a box of shredded wheat cereal? I hate throwing those crumbs away!

Cindy

Answers:

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

If they are not the sweetened cereal crumbs, then use them in your meat loaf. If they are from the sweetened cereal, use them in your oatmeal. (01/07/2009)

By Ms April

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

I always add them to my breadmaker recipes, if its just a few tablespoons add it, if its a large amount measure is as part of the flour. My bread is different every time! (01/13/2009)

By Terry Rawlinson

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

I add them to my Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal cookie batter. Each time they are a little different. (01/14/2009)

By Pam

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

Hi, Sprinkle them on top your yogurt for extra fiber in your diet. Loretta (01/14/2009)

By Loretta B.

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

I like to use the Shredded Wheat crumbs as if it was regular bread crumbs. Any recipe that calls for bread crumbs use the Shredded Wheat.Add the needed spices and go for it. Chicken, pork and even fish like Flounder or Talapia are good. The Shredded Wheat adds a little crunch (01/14/2009)

By Robin

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

I just put them into the last bowl of cereal and eat them, end of problem. (01/15/2009)

By Kim Churchman

Recipes Using Shredded Wheat Crumbs

Mix with butter or oil and cinnamon and use as a topping when you bake sweet items. (01/16/2009)

By Holly

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceFebruary 8, 2018
🎉

Generated 2019-12-28 06:09:12 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️