Gluten, Egg and Dairy Free Meal Ideas

Does anyone have any ideas for cheap eats that are gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and that don't take much time to prepare? I'm allergic to all that and am spending far more than my budget will cover on food, plus I'm working on my master's and don't have much time to prepare meals. Thanks!

Shellee from Carson City, NV

Spaghetti -

1 lb. hamburger meat

2 Hunt's Traditional Spaghetti Sauce

Kinnikinnick spaghetti noodles (I buy these at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage)

If it's just you, I'd make up a pot of sauce and just enough pasta for your meal. Then I'd freeze the leftover sauce in small containers.

Tacos -

taco shells

ground beef

taco seasoning (McCormick's is g/f)

lettuce

tomato

BBQ Chicken Breasts -

chicken breast with or without bone

BBQ sauce (Kraft and Hunt's have some that are g/f - just read the labels)

Bake or grill chicken until done. Put into bowl and pour warm BBQ sauce over...then toss to coat.

Soups would be a good, frugal option. You can make the broth yourself or check the ingredients, I use Pacific Foods broth. Chicken with rice or rice noodles would be delicious. Potato soups or stews will thicken up without flour, as will chili or any bean soup.

Another option would be stir fry. You need to make sure not to use regular soy sauce, but to buy "Wheat Free Tamari" It tastes almost exactly the same. Sesame oil is another way to get a nice flavor. You can add whatever meat you like or just do it with seasonal veggies. Served with rice, this is easy, healthy and inexpensive.

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have a great deal of options for different dietary needs. They speak very highly of their rice pasta.

Here is a very cool website that I came across when looking for gluten/dairy free recipes recently. http://www.damefandango.com/

Good Luck.

Jess in Portland, OR

a wonderful college professor makes these healthy cookies and put the recipe on the air. I couldn't believe it would work. It did and they are so healthy.

Healthy Cookies

3 ripe bananas, mashed

3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal

3/4 cup raisins, dates, figs or whatever you choose

nuts are optional

vanilla

Mix together and bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Are you truly allergic to eggs or is it maybe soy? Commercial eggs come from hens raised on a soy-based feed. I have a thyroid condition that requires me to avoid soy. As a result, I started my own flock of hens and I feed them soy-free food.

No, soy doesn't really bother me (except for the gas!) - eggs were my highest allergen, with soy one of my lowest. So I really do think it's an egg thing, darn it all! And I appreciate the cookie recipe, but oats have gluten, and they absolutely kick my behind!

If you want to know more about glutten,please get more info. about gluten and recipes and all the food that you can eat by going on glutenfree.com newsletter I think you will enjoy all that you will learn

Anita

Here are some websites one of my daughters has found helpful for my grandson who needs a gluten and dairy free diet:

http://www.gfcfdiet.com/

http://www.tacanow.com/

http://www.savorypalate.com/

http://www.allergygrocer.com/

The FEAT website is pretty good and has links to other things

as well.

http://www.featwa.org/

She recently made a delicious gfcf turkey/and

chicken sausage meatloaf using rice crackers from

trader joes (they're cheap) instead of bread crumbs of

course unfortunately worcestershire sauce has "natural

flavorings" which may or may not include gluten

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/lactose

Above is a website that might be some help to you. Good Luck!

I guess rice is your friend. A combination I like is cooked rice, celery, peanuts, and soy sauce. It's easy to make, can be eaten cold or hot, and has a nice, satisfying crunch. You can also add other vegetables and mushrooms. If you can eat potatoes, they can easily be microwaved in a few minutes and then you can add any topping in your repertoire. Plain old tomato paste is quite versatile, has no added ingredients, and is cheaper than most other canned tomato products.

I recently bought a used bread machine for $5, and if you can find gluten-free bread recipes, that's a cheap, quick and easy thing to do too.

Assuming you don't go into anaphylactic shock from your allergies, you might find additional help from a local nutritionist. For example, digestive enzymes and other supplements can help with your immune system or when you've eaten something you shouldn't've. Of course, check with your allergist FIRST!

I've dealt with similar food and other allergies for years, and have found that it's best to just do what you have to do. People, if they notice at all, will quickly get used to your new eating habits. They will pick up on your attitude - if you keep it simple, they will too.

And when people offer me forbidden food, this is what I say: "Oh that looks simply delicious. You are such a talented cook. Wherever did you learn to make something that scrumptious?" They usually don't even notice that I haven't eaten any of it.

Good luck on your master's degree.

Meat loaf is a good item that can be prepared in advance and frozen in separate containers and easily reheated. Also, instead of adding egg just omit it. It won't hold together like meat loaf when you cook it but you can still enjoy it I know but I love it and it's easier for me I don't have to buy an egg after all. Just add some tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce on top when almost done.

Oats do not contain gluten. Not inherently, anyway. They often acquire glutens because oat crops are rotated out with barley crops in the same field, so there's often cross-contamination. Then in the mills, the same grinding equipment is usually used to grind/roll/mill/crush glutinous grains and oats at different times, without cleaning in between.

You can, however, get gluten-free oat flour. It's not cheap (about $8 a pound at my 'local' gluten-free store, but you can probably order it cheaper from somewhere else), but it can be used. No glutens. Promise.

Gluten Free Meal
Avoiding Gluten In Your Diet
Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting AdviceApril 16, 2007
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Shortbread cookies.
Gluten Free Shortbread Recipes
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk
🎉
🎄