Paint Not Sticking To Particle Board Cabinets

I painted the sides of our island, over the laminate/particle board that is made to look like the cabinets. First I tried sanding it and painting and it would not work, the paint wasn't holding in some places. Then I tried liquid sander. That seemed to work, but some spots of paint are still wiping right off. Is there any hope to fix this? I put more liquid sander on and painted over it again but I don't know what else to do. I looks great, but I'm afraid one scuff of a shoe is going to take the paint right off. Thanks!

S from Indiana

You need to sand it down and use primer then paint.

When I painted my laminate kitchen cabinets, I first sanded them, then applied a coat of LAMINATE PRIMER to the surfaces. The primer provides a base for the laminate paint to adhere to. After the primer had dried I applied a coat of laminate paint. When the 1st coat of paint had dried, the surfaces were given a very light sand and a 2nd coat of laminate paint was applied.

I think laminate primer is the main ingredient here. Hope any of this info. helps. Good luck with solving your problem :)

Did you use primer? Theres a great primer called kilz that you apply before you paint. Its worth a shot. Good luck.

Thanks so much! I did NOT prime...which is the problem. I paint things all the time and know better not to, but thought the massive amount of sanding I was doing would be enough. I guess not! I am glad to know there is a laminate primer, I will use that if the paint doesn't stick. In most places it seems fine, but time will tell.

Sounds like you have the solution to your problem with the other posts. I wanted to say that I absolutely love your floors. What product is on your floors? Great island too.

Thank you! The floors are actually Pergo laminate floors in a cherry. They hold up to EVERYTHING.

There's more than one type of primer. For old wood that has mildew on it, there's blocking primer: nothing comes through it, not mildew, not bold colors, nothing. For painting over old oil based paint, there's bonding primer: it bonds tenaciously to anything - slick surfaces, gritty surfaces, anything. You may have best luck with the bonding primer in this situation.

Probably every paint line has primers - I got our bonding primer from Sherwin Williams - but the contractor who worked on our house generally uses Kilz mildew blocker for repairs and renovations.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingMay 21, 2008
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄