Wood Treatment That Won't Stain Clothing

I have a vinyl-ish plastic coated metal hook on a wooden dowel stick that is probably 40 years old from a desert climate (Phoenix, AZ). The wood had a finish, but it's showing signs of drying up. I'd like to moisturize or oil it, but don't want the emollient to stain cloth as it is used to pull clothing out of the dryer and washer. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Holly, I know exactly what you're talking about; as an Occupational Therapist, I have made dozens.

If I were you, I would sand the stick lightly, then paint it, or put a coat or two of water-based varnish on the stick. You can get craft paint (acrylic) at the craft store for under a dollar for a bottle. As long as the paint is non-washable, it will be fine--even if you drip on the hook.

Use mineral oil thats what they recommend for knife handles.

Home and Garden Repair OtherSeptember 23, 2008
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
Applying Wood Stain
Removing Wood Stain from Clothing
🎄