Wash and Freeze Your Apple Harvest

With apples so good and plentiful now, why not freeze them so that you may enjoy sauces and apple desserts all year. Fill empty spots in your freezer with apples that have been washed only. Don't pare, core or peel. Just put in plastic bags before storing in freezer. When you are ready to use them, just peel and slice as with fresh apples. Let apples stand out of freezer for 1 hour before peeling. This makes them easier to handle. Be sure to use them at once before they turn and become soft.

Source: I got this from a local newspaper more than 20 years ago.

By Jane from Piqua, OH

I peel and slice mine and then freeze in 5 cup increments in plastic bags and they come out great.

I've been living in FL pretty much all my life and I am from Piqua, Ohio originally and it was such a joy to see someone from my little town posting something out of the Piqua Daily Call. Thanks for the smile on a bad day. Take care, Sandy

Last fall, I prepared apples for pies and froze several packages. When I wanted to make an apple pie, all I had left to do was prepare the crust. I used my last pack this weekend and the pie was delicious. We plan to go to the mountains soon and get some more apples and I'll be putting apple pie mix in the freezer to enjoy for the next 12 months.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodOctober 7, 2008
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
Mango on white background with leaves.
Freezing Mangoes
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
🎄
🍂