Where's Erma Bombeck When We Need Her? Uses For Unmatched Socks.

I am the proud owner of a large trash bag of widowed and orphaned socks--all colors, all sizes. Although Erma Bombeck would have known where to search for the mates, we've lost her and are on our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use these single socks--or is there anyone who would like this bag for quilting scraps or something? Thanks.

Kathleen in Dallas

Could you donate them to a daycare or preschool for sock puppet making?

An idea I read on this site, and am planning to try, is to take the longer socks and fill them with fiberfill or other stuffing and use for stopping air leaks at the bottoms of doors. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet!

Use them to dust! Slip one over your hand, spray and wipe!

If you have a small loom you can cut them into strips(the short way to form loops) and weave pot holders. Another idea is to again cut them the short way and weave a rug. I have done both of these ideas and they work out great.

For the rug you take one loop(lets call it red) slip it over the index finger,twist it and slip over the middle finger, twist it and slip it over the ring finger, and the same for the pinky. Do the same with a second loop(we'll call this one blue). When done grab the bottom red loop of the index finger and and slip it up and over the top of your finger. This makes a "LOCK" over the blue loops. Do this all the way to the pinky. Slip on a red loop as done above and then slip the blue loops over. Continue doing this till the peice reaches about 6 feet in length. lay it flat and coil it. As you coil you are going to stitch the coil together to hold it in place. VIOLA !! A rug.

Sally

If you use a food saver and canning jars, slip one over each jar to limit the jars getting broken in the freezer from getting bumped. Also if they do get broken, the pieces are contained in the sock.

If you cut off the feet, they make great legwarmers for babies.

For crafts--sock puppets and also cute animal theme beanbags that are easy for kids to fill and stitch (older kids) or have adult hot glue closed (for younger kids).

For cleaning purposes, I have a bag of odd socks hanging in the laundry room and also a long 1/2" dowel. When the narrow space between my fridge and cabinets gets full of dust that I can see but can't reach, I place a sock over the end of the dowel and secore the top of the sock with a rubber band wrapped tight enough to hold. Then I am able to spray the sock lightly with cleaner and wipe up all the dust and also any spills that have gone down the side of the fridge. I use the dowel and sock under my entertainment center and big pieces of furniture that are hard to get under otherwise. When I'm through, I throw the sock away as there are many more where that one came from.

When we were children Mom saved all of the mis-matched sock for the winter. When we went out side we would double up our socks to keep our feet warm. There were four of us so just to have enough socks to go around we used any we could find and who care if the socks matched...

I use the socks that have lost their mates to make pet beds. My dogs love to get their new beds stuffed with these socks. They are launderable and fluffy!

Slit them from the toe through the heel and up to the top. Use them for cleaning rags. You can rewash and reuse or use once, and toss them out. I keep a bagful in my woodworking shop to wipe off excess glue or paint spills, etc.

Harlean from Arkansas

Put potpourri in socks and use as a drawer freshener or can be placed in shoes for a shoe freshener.

cut off the tops and stuff with fiber fill, and sew together making a quilt.. You can mount them on a blanket or once filled make the old fashion quilt with the batting and adding a backing... either of the ways work... OR you can stuff them sew them closed and sandwich them between two layers of material as the quilt batting. Just create as you go... its fun...

If you have kitty cats, you can put catnip down inside the toe and tie a knot in the sock. You might have to cut off and discard the excess. I buy bulk catnip and make these and it is SO much cheaper than ready-made cat toys. And the socks make my cats nutty.

I USE MINE ON MY SWIFFER DRY MOP INSTEAD OF BUYING PADS FOR IT. SIMPLY SWEEP FLOOR AND TOSS IT IN WASHER TO BE RE USED(CAN'T BE USED ON SWIFFER WET JET)

I used my old mismatched socks when we moved to slip over all my small collectable trinkets. That way each had its own cozy protector for the trip AND it was much easier unpacking them after we arrived than unwrapping paper.

Use unmatched socks for painting. Instead of using a painting sponge. Works just as well!

My grandmother always said she had a "one-footed, sock stealing monster" living in her dryer. We often ended up using the single socks as rags for cleaning around the house. But as I got older, I realized the fabric of the sock worked great for removing nail polish off of my fingernails. It saved a lot of money in cotton balls and it could be re-used. I know it sounds funny but it really works! Or, sock puppets are always fun. Just add some feathers or googly eyes and you can entertain young kids for hours!

I stuff a tennis ball in one and my dog will play with it for the longest trying to get the ball out.

I get some wool dye usually dark blue and then dye all the socks the same colour. I then get similar looking socks together and wear them in pairs...haha thrifty or what!

Richardpeeej