Can I Give Milk Of Magnesia To My Dog?

By Addie 1

My Dachshund is constipated so I gave him milk of magnesia and a second later he pooped out brown watery looking poop is he OK?

By Addie from TX

Filter Sort

By Lynda 4 26 Flag

First,make sure your dog isn't impacted (feces "stuck"high in the colon). You may want the vet to do this via x-ray. A digital rectal (finger inserted into rectum) will not go "high" enough to check for an impaction. But for just a day by day constipation, Mom is ok.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please do not ever give your dog/cat anything over the counter unless your Vet says too. Doing this can be dangerous to the health of your animal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Can I Give Milk Of Magnesia To My Dog?

Can I administer a dose of milk of magnesia to my 80lb Irish Setter?
He is constipated and is straining when he tries to eliminate.

Charles from Chicago, IL

Feedback:

RE: Can I Give Milk Of Magnesia To My Dog?

Yes, you can give MOM to your dog. My veterinarian husband says 1 teaspoonful and don't be surprised if you wind up wearing half of it! (06/30/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

He might need his prostate examined, especially if he isn't neutered. Sometimes an enlarged prostate is a cause of straining. Sometimes urinary tract infections can look like straining to defecate, too. (06/30/2008)

By junebug_000

Yes. You can also give Pepto Bismol. Also I give my dogs human Benadryl and aspirin and vitamin C. All of these things have been OK'd through my vet for different ailments. Good luck! (07/01/2008)

By Stephanie

The safest thing and quick is a tablespoon of oil and for daily maintenance of fresh ground flax seed or flax oil (more costly). Dogs like and can eat carrots and other veges for fiber. DO NOT give doggy anything with xylitol as a sweetener. It is poisonous to dogs.
(07/01/2008)

By momo5

My vet suggested canned pumpkin for my 26 lb Jack Russell Terrier. She said it has the needed fiber that will relieve constipation. (07/01/2008)

By Deern

I use 2 tbsp of pure can pumpkin once a day, until better. It works great and is very safe for them. (07/01/2008)

By Jessica

It would be a good idea to get your dog vet checked before you do anything. There could be an obstruction of some kind and you could make it worse! (07/01/2008)

By catastrofy

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 8, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Almond Milk
Using Almond Milk
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Sad looking puppy on carpet
Removing Dog Urine Stains from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:24:21 PM on 10.0.2.186 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings