Reviving a Fuchsia Plant

We live in an apartment complex and there are always surprises in the communal trash bins. My son knows I plant everything, so he just came in the door with 2 fuchsia plants that had been thrown away.

It looks like they were kept in the little 4 inch pots they were bought in. They look pretty scrawny, have some dead branches, and no blossoms. I looked them up on several gardening sites and see that they need bigger pots, watering every day, shade, and fertilizer about every 2 weeks.

I've cut off the dead branches and had a friendly talk with them to make them welcome. Is there anything else I should do to revive my little orphan plants? I've always wanted a fuchsia plant, but never bought one, so other than what I read on the internet, I'm not sure what to do.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

They need a lot of water. Put them in larger pots, let them soak in bath tub with water in it until they are wet, and maybe they will revive. Also, search for "how to grow Fuchsia plant" lots of info there. Good luck.

Fuchsia' are wonderful plants. I have many. During the day, they like filtered sun & evenly moist soil. When it's hot, they really like misting to help with heat drooping. They like acid fertilizers. When you first get the sick ones, I'd put them in an area with good light & no sun, to let hem recover. There are some fuchsias that like more sun than others, so after they are recovered, I'd put the pots in different areas till you find the best place for them. If you have trimmed them back, that's good. If they are really ratty, take each branch & cut them about 1 in beyond the last healthy set of leaves. This gives them a break so they can work on the roots & then they will start to leaf out everywhere. I am lucky. I live in an area where a fuchsia society has yearly meetings & they sell rooted cuttings cheap. I have some miniature & micro-miniature ones with such tiny bloom & you can't get them in regular stores. They always have such a wide variety of nice plants.

Fuchsia Blooms
Growing Fuchsias
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersAugust 10, 2009
Cape Fuchsia Flowers
Growing Cape Fuchsia
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Pencil
Reviving Dried Pencil Erasers
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
🎄
🍂