Recycled Planters From Old Shoes

Our PTA president had us ask the school for a week to bring in old shoes for our green theme. Lots of the children brought shoes and the PTA bought soil and seeds. We had the children come one class at a time. Any shoes that had holes, rips, or were very old we put soil in and about 6-8 seeds.

The kids lined them up against one of the school's walls. The classes are taking turns watering their shoes and now one month later little sprouts are popping up. The children are so happy and so are we.

The shoes that were in really good condition and were in pairs, we donated to a store where they sent them to Haiti. So two great things with one project. Go Hillcrest!

By LisaLou from Los Angeles, CA

Well, I never! This is the best idea that I have ever heard for children gardening. I am going to look for old shoes everywhere. whoopee!

Would just love to see a photo of all these planters!

What a cute idea! I'll have to try this with my grandchildren :) Thank you!

And yes, I would also love to see a picture.

Neat idea! I have several pairs of white athletic shoes that I wore until they weren't even fit for gardening in. I was going to mail them to Niki to be recycled, but I would have to pay for shipping, so I haven't done it. I think they'd look awfully cute with royal purple and hot pink petunias spilling all over them! Will share this with my granddaughter, too. :)

A succulent garden planted in an old boot.
Making Shoe and Boot Planters
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersApril 19, 2010
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎉
🎄