Hide Important Numbers in Cell Phone Contacts

With so many numbers to remember, here's a great way to keep it simple. If you have a number that is difficult to remember: a pin number, lock combination or ID number, hide it on your phone! Make an entry in your cell phone's contact list for a made-up name. (Make sure you won't confuse it with someone else!) Turn the number into a phone number. Place it at the front, middle or end of the number, put it in backwards or make it only every other number for extra security. Log it as your "friend's" number. This way, you'll have it at hand without giving it away. Even if your phone is lost or stolen, no one will know your secret.

Don't have a cell? Use the same trick to add the number to your address book!

By Anda from Knoxville, TN

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

What a fantastic idea. I doubt I would ever have thought of it, but will certainly use it, starting today. The dumb thing is, about the time I really need a number it flies out of my head, and ten minutes later, poof, there it is, so your idea is genius. Thanks. Just another reason why I love thrifty fun, so many ideas.

This is the best idea that I have ever read on this site and I have been a member for several years.

This is a very useful idea & a great way to protect information you don't want to share.

I've done this for nearly 30 years in the calendar I carry in my purse, because I'm SO bad about forgetting my bank card pin# & getting locked out! And very paranoid about someone stealing my purse & getting my info!

If you have more than one to remember, put it in with a made up name for the initials of the type of card, 4 numbers of the card for the address & the pin # is the phone#. For instance, my Arizona Bank card would be listed as:

Aunt Barb (for Arizona Bank)

#### Winter Rd. Phx (card #)

774-#### (pin #)

and then the card for the Arizona Bank acct I share with my mom would be:

Alice B.(mom's next-door neighbor)

(this = Arizona Bank-mom)

#### Circle Dr. (card #)

774-#### (pin #)

Nowadays, I usually just list 4 numbers for the card as someone's home phone # & the pin # as their cell #. You can also use the same method with birthdays instead of address & phone numbers.

I have done this even before cell phones. Wrote pin numbers down as phone numbers. It works great, and I feel much safer doing this than writing it down somewhere and trying to hide it. I usually "hide" it from myself anyway... LOL

Yes, a steller idea. I have one to keep in mind if you like writing things in a small book. I put all my passwords, pins, and account numbers in backwards. You could do this with this tip, too.

My grandson said he had trouble remembering his many numbers, and I said to do this. It really works well.

PBP

Keep in mind too not to have an entry that says 'home'. It wouldn't take much for an untrusty finder of your cell phone to figure out where you live and all sorts of other information. I use a combination of my pet's name for my home number.

I have this for my kids' school id numbers! They know them, but I have to know them for calling in absences, etc.

It is a great idea. I've been doing this since I got my first cell phone.

Calling 911 With Cell Phone
Using Your Cellphone in An Emergency
Organizing MiscellaneousOctober 13, 2010
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
A man looking at his cell phone.
Blocking Calls on a Cell Phone
A yellow phone book with a phone sitting on it.
Finding Phone Numbers
Rolodex
Organizing Phone Numbers
🎄