Use Petroleum Jelly to Keep Your Skin Soft and Smooth

I remember hearing this frugal beauty trick from both the late Eartha Kitt and Doris Day. Petroleum Jelly: use it at night as night lotion on your face. It does rub off on the pillow some. I also use it to take off makeup, too. Once a week, I use it all over my body, cover up with pajamas, socks, and cotton gloves before going to bed. It works better than the most expensive lotion. I am fifty and people think I am in my thirties because of my skin.

By Morganna from Anderson, IN

It's also good for hands and lips and helps prevent chapping better than lotions do :-)

There are many better things to help rehydrate your skin with.....vitamin A & D based lotion, with vitamin E being just one. Also, taking essential fatty acids internally is a good way to make sure the outside is soft & smooth.

There are SO many better things to use. Petroleum jelly is basically gasoline (Petrol). It is not good for your skin or anything else on your body. And it is very drying. Have you ever known someone who is a "chapstick addict"? who can't be without that stick? It is because the petroleum is drying out their lips so badly that they have to keep applying it. A vicious cycle! Read your ingrediant list carefully and don't use anything with petroleum in it. Try a shea butter based lotion -- much better!

Adding a little scientific info about petroleum based products:

The majority of naturally manufactured and homemade products containing shea butter, vitamins A, B, E, or coconut oil, etc. also contain various non-animal oil/emulsifying waxes (such as mineral oil) which are indeed petroleum based ...

Petroleum is oil based and not gasoline based ... Gasoline is a derivative of oil just like mineral oil, antihistimines, vitamin capsules, lipstick, tooth brushes, tooth paste, aspirin, soap and glycerin ...

The main caution for petroleum jelly is not to use it on fresh burns as it would continue the burning process just as when one puts butter on a fresh burn instead of cold water ...

I'll stick with a good old dab of inexpensive petro jelly over expensive 'hyped as natural' petro products any day just like Eartha, Doris and Morganna ;-)

I use Un-Petroleum Jelly for removing my eye make-eup.

I recommend Moisture Therapy by AVON. I have been using it since November and it is the 1st Winter my hands have NOT cracked and bled!

Deeli is correct, petroleum jelly is not gasoline-based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

I too have extremely dry skin, especially on my feet. Petroleum jelly works wonders in softening my skin. I also use it to remove makeup.

I love it when I dye my hair at home. Putting it on the top of my ears and forehead keeps the dye off. I simply wipe it off when I'm done. There are no dark or funky spots on my skin after.

Petroleum Jelly
Uses for Petroleum Jelly
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes SkinFebruary 2, 2009
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Leftover Jelly
Uses for Leftover Jelly or Jam
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
🎉
🎄