This simple recipe from the Northern region of India uses highly fragrant cardamom pods. Cardamom pods taste delicious and may also useful in aiding digestion. Dried cilantro/coriander may be used if fresh is not available.
Chicken with Cardamom
1. Heat one and a half to two tablespoons of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the onions until golden brown.
2. Remove onions from the pan and heat the remaining amount of oil in the same pan. Add the chicken and onions and stir together. Cook over a medium heat for around 10 minutes.
3. Pour the yoghurt into the mixture, add the water gradually and season with the salt.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
5. Add the cilantro and cardamom and simmer for another minute.
Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
To freeze: Cool completely, divide into portions and put chicken mixture into freezer-proof bags or containers. Seal, label and freeze for 2-3 months.
To defrost: Defrost a portion of the chicken mixture on a plate for 4 hours at room temperature. Remove the chicken from the container and place in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes ensuring the mixture hasn't dried out and adding extra liquid if necessary.
About The Author: Clair Jansen publishes Recipes from the International Thrifty Kitchen on ThriftyFun.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!