Craft Project: Rain Boot Flower Arrangement

Brighten rainy days with a playful centerpiece made with a pair of children's rubber rain boots. Even though my children are grown, I couldn't resist these boots when I found them at a yard sale. I immediately knew they would look adorable as flower containers displayed on a porch or in an entryway.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• rubber rain boots
  • wet rag
  • gravel
  • green floral brick
  • serrated knife
  • hot glue gun
  • spanish moss
  • silk flowers
  • household cement
  • floral ribbon
  • craft wire
  • ruler
  • wire cutters

1. Wipe off the boots with a wet rag and fill the foot section of each boot with gravel.

2. Cut a green floral brick to fit in the leg of the boot using a serrated knife. Apply hot glue around the inside of the boot legs and insert the brick.

3. Apply hot glue to the top of the floral bricks and cover with Spanish moss.

4. Insert and arrange your choice of silk flowers in the tops of the boots.

5. Place the boots together with the sides touching. Note where the sides touch. Separate the boots and apply household cement to the side of one boot where the boots had touched. Place the boots back together and press to form a bond. This will prevent the boots from shifting when you pick up and move your centerpiece.

6. Wrap a length of floral ribbon around the pair of boot legs and tie into a knot on the front. Do this while the glue is wet. It will pull the sides of the boots together to connect the glue. The exact measurement will depend on the size of the boots. Trim the ends of the ribbon to 1 inch long.

7. Make a multi-loop bow from the same ribbon. If your bow technique uses wire to twist the loops together, cut the excess wire to at least 4 inches long. If there is no wire in your technique, cut an 8-inch length of craft wire using wire cutters. Insert the wire through the knot on the back of the bow with an even amount of wire extending from each side of the knot.

8. Place the bow over the knot on the ribbon wrapped around the boots. Place a wire end on each side of the knot. Bring the ends of the wire together behind the knot and twist to secure. Trim away the excess wire using wire cutters.

By Cyndee from Winfield, KS

These are so great! Thanks for the idea...with all the rain we've had lately I just might have to use my kids old boots to cheer us up!

What a great idea. Super cute. thanks for sharing, Dorothy

I was just thinking of something to brighten my front steps, and you came up with the perfect solution! Great idea!

Very nice!

I also collect rainboots, ceramic or plastic, and plant them with flowers in my gardens. I place them next to chairs or pedestals, on steps etc. Cannot find pics of them but they are really cute and add color to my gardens. Love it.

Finished Rain Boot Flower Arrangement
Creative Flower Arrangements
Crafts Recycled Crafts DecorJune 4, 2011
Green Rain Barrel
Make Your Own Rain Barrel
Rain Drops on Leaf
Rain Garden Basics
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
White Rain Lily
Growing Rain Lily (Fairy Lily)