Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Pickled Wash Oak Cabinets

We have pickled wash oak cabinets. What color should we paint our walls?

Niner from East Hanover, NJ

Hi there, Niner from East Hanover!

My first question would be....what colors do you like? With such light colored cabinetry you could paint your kitchen any color that you like! My suggestion would be to use an inspiration piece, if you have favorite curtains, placemats, a tablecloth, something with your favorite colors that you absolutely love. Then I would pick out several colors from your inspiration piece and go to the paint store and pull out some paint swatches that match your choices. Take them home and tape them on the wall and see what appeals to you. I also use the glidden.com site or the behr.com site because they have a decorating section that you pick out a room and your paint choices and it applies the colors to the walls so you can see how it looks.

My second question for you would be, do you have a decorating style that appeals to you? Do you like modern, country, a shabby chic look, or maybe a tuscan style? You should check out some books from the library and get an idea of a style that you would like to achieve. Are you a dramatic person that would like very bold colors in dark jewel tones like navy, hunter green and burgundy? Or do you like softer colors like sage green? I always plan to do something quite dramatic, but then I just go back to my same old light colored scheme; I am just not very brave, I guess.

After you do make your paint choice and finish your kitchen, give yourself time to get used to it. The best thing about paint is that you can always repaint if you don't like it!

Have you thought about any type of faux paint techniques? I have sponge painted, spatter painted (with a toothbrush dipped in paint) and I have used rags and ragged a wall with paint mixed with glaze. The ragging technique leaves a very soft, aged look. This would be a nice technique to use in a kitchen to achieve a tuscan look.

I hope that you will take pictures of before and after to share with everyone at ThriftyFun! Good luck on your project and feel free to email me if you would like to talk more!

Paula

How about a sage green? That color looks very pretty with these cabinets. Good luck!!

We also have pickled was oak cabinets. I am having trouble deciding on the color of appliances and hardware. We have dark wood floors and dark brown granite countertops. Would it look funny if I had stainless appliances and bronze hardware? I am having a hard time deciding. zia.mahreen at gmail dot com

We have pickled cabinets too and my girlfriend told me of two colors that look very good with them. I was not a fan of the cabinets until now. We have stainless steel appliances with stainless steel knobs on the cabinets. Look for the Behr swatches at Home Depot with the colors Sandstone Cove 730C-2 on it and the swatch with Sandstone Cliff 750C-3 on it. The colors on these swatches look great against the pickled cabinets.

Hope it helps you! Kelly

In my kitchen I have pickled wash oak cabinets, new black appliances and a hard wood floor that has a strong orange hue. I painted the room almost a tuscan yellow, but my preference is cool colors so I don't find my kitchen very inviting. Any thoughts on wall colors would be greatly appreciated.