Keep Food Cold Outside During Power Outage

This past weekend, my power went out and I was not expecting that to happen. We had quite a few inches of snow on the ground. I took my food out of the fridge and placed everything into a large plastic storage crate.

I sat the crate in the snow and kept it there until the power came back on late Sunday night. This kept my food from spoiling and I could get whatever I needed easily. I just had to open my back door. It was like having a freezer at my disposal. I have always done this in the winter if the power went out.

By triciaminter from Ridgeway, VA

Very wise :-)

This is wonderful advice, and I wish I'd had it many years ago when we were hit by an ice storm that left us without power for 3 and 1/2 long days.

We used candles, and I reused the unburned candle wax by melting it on our gas stovetop, and pouring it into glass candle containers with new wicks. But our refrigerator/freezer stunk, and was a mess to clean up.

Meat in Freezer
Food Safety During a Power Outage
Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageFebruary 25, 2010
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Power Outage Supplies
Preparing for a Power Outage
Power Outage Safety Plan for People on Oxygen
Refrigerator
Cleaning a Moldy Refrigerator
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 6:43:05 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.