Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

White Clothing Dyed Blue

How do I get blue dye out of white clothing?

By AThayer from IN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Grandma J [46]12/29/2010

Go to the store and buy RIT dye out or dye remover. Works great. Follow instructors. Water must be hot.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: White Clothing Dyed Blue

I have dyed an item of clothing from white to blue (through another item bleeding in the wash). Is there any way to take this color back out, or am I now stuck with a blue top? The item is made of cotton and I have left it to soak in normal water.

Thanks,
Sarah from UK

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

There is a product that removes color by RIT, the company which makes dyes. We used it when we got a red garment in the white wash load and they came out white again. It might be worth checking out. Good luck! (08/22/2005)

By Guest from Delaware

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

I've seen the color remover by RIT, but I haven't tried it yet. You could try a strong all-fabric (oxygen) bleach solution, then wash the shirt again, using oxygen bleach in the washer, too. Just dissolve the recommended amount for a full wash load in a container big enough to submerse the top. Use hot water, unless you're worried about shrinkage. I let it soak all day, if that's what it takes. If it's still a little blue, you can re-soak in oxygen bleach, or follow the directions for the old standby, chlorine bleach. I love oxygen bleach because it is safe, and it won't weaken the fabric, even if you soak it several times. You can throw in some other dingy clothes to whiten them up, too! (08/22/2005)

By LizCar

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

If the RIT product doesn't work I rely on a product called "Iron Out". It is used to remove iron from all kinds of things, but I've used it often on -white only- laundry that's been stained. I recently had a white top that had unknown blue stains on it following a trip through the washer, and it came out so pretty and white after being treated with the Iron Out. You will find it in the cleaning aisle of your grocery store. (08/22/2005)

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

Using the Rit color remover is an excellent idea. To keep this from ever happening again, "Shout Color Catcher" sheets keep colors from mixing in your washer. After putting your clothes in the washer, the sheet goes on top to catch any color that might fade. It's an excellent product, everyone needs some in their laundry room. (08/23/2005)

By DEE.

Archive: White Clothing Dyed Blue

I washed a blue shirt with a white shirt, and the white one came out with blue blotches. How can I get it clean?

By lhedgpeth from Seattle, WA

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

The blue is the dye from the other blue shirt which bled onto the white shirt. It won't have set well, so you should be able to soak it out, or use bleach to bleach out the unwanted color. I just got a blue spot on a red t-shirt with blue trim, but it came out after washing that area carefully several times. Avoid hot water, as that will usually set the blotch of dye. (06/23/2009)

By pamphyila

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

I agree with pamphyila. Bleach is the way to go. And stay away from hot water and the dryer, or an iron, because heat tends to set the color or stain in. If bleach won't work, you can go to a drug store or a fabric store where they sell Rit dye and buy Rit's dye remover. This should do the trick.

Simply put the bleach and the laundry soap in to the water before adding the clothes, then after it's agitated and mixed in, add the clothes and agitate a minute or so. Then turn the washer off and leave your clothes to sit about half an hour, then turn the washer back on and wash as usual. (06/23/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

Go to the super market, and buy a packet of Runaway. Follow instructions. I found that the best. (06/24/2009)

By mizz_rosa01

Archive: White Clothing Dyed Blue

I've just accidentally washed new white tops (which contain slight splashes of color design) with a blue skirt. Now the main body of both white tops are a pale blue. What can I do?

By Chelsey from Sandpoint, ID

RE: White Clothing Dyed Blue

My Mom has been using this recipe for years to fix this problem.
1/2 cup bleach
1/2 cup powdered Cascade
2 gallon bucket of warm water
Mix until dissolved and soak item for about 2 hours, wash item in cold water. (01/05/2010)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh