Accessories to Put on the Coffee Table

I need some suggestions for what ornaments to put on my coffee table. I live in an old, small cottage which has old fashioned furniture. I'm not into flowery fabrics. I prefer the simple styles. My living area is just off the kitchen which has very light oak units. The walls in kitchen and living area are cream, sofa is beige.

I have ceramic tiles in light cream and my rug is beige with an apricot colored border. The throw cushions on the sofa are beige and cream and the coffee table and other furniture in that area is mahogany. My kitchen has red accessories which you can see from the living area.

What do I put on my glass topped antique mahogany coffee table to tie in with everything? I have plants around in places but I don't want any on the coffee table. All I have at the moment is a small crystal ashtray and it looks so forlorn by itself. Any suggestions please?

Cettina from Malta, Europe

An old, small cottage in Europe -- sounds so charming! What do you think of this: a cluster of candles in clear glass holders? You could use a variety of sizes and a variety of colors like cream, beige, and apricot. Then surround the candles with seashells. They tend to be the colors of your cottage. If you're not using the crystal ashtray as an ashtray fill it with sand dollars, seahorses, or beach glass. I don't think you necessarily need to play up the red in your kitchen but if you want too put some of your plants in red pots or vases. Your home sounds really lovely!

Here's a few ideas: candles, coffee table art book, candy dish, beta fish in bowl, victorian porcelain figurine, basket w small booklets on various subjects or crossword puzzle/find a word books in it or yarn, needles/hooks if you knit or crochet.

It sounds like a medium sized Sand Timer would be a real piece of interest in that room as you sort of have an eclectic decor and it would be a great conversation piece. Also it would elude to your tying the old and new together.

Just a thought.

Also an old world globe of some kind would look good I would think.I liked one of the ideas above about a bowl of shells, sea horses etc for the interest but I happen to be a rock lover. Just a bowl of pretty stones or even multi colored marbles would be nice I think along side your sand timer. Best of luck.

Coffee table art books (large) in a pile are always nice. You could put candles on - in holders or the fat ones, and group them. Or a large basket with some dried arrangement in it - You need color - so choose colorful things. A figurine? A little decorative box? A a lace doily or colorful runner on the table? A flower arrangement? If you have lots of old things, you could make a grouping of them on the table. Just a few suggestions...

I'd find something real pretty like a box of some kind to hold your remote control, reading glasses, etc. I'd try to find something that's not only attractive but functional.

thanks for the compliment, perfumed fan. i love my little 2bedroomed cottage too. took a lot of planning and knocking down of wall, etc. to get it livable. didnt even have a bathroom in it wen i got hold of it! your ideas on the color schemes,cream beige and apricot sound nice and soothing. also thanks to lorelei and the others who took the trouble to give me such great ideas. exactly what i wanted - a list of stuff to go on the table. now i know the color scheme and what sort of things to get i can start visiting (older) relatives and friends to see if what they wud consider junk wud be just right for what i want! thats how i picked up so many of the ornaments and stuff i already have. soon as somebody i know says they going to redecorate a room to a more modern style, thats my cue to go visiting and pick up their so-called junk. many, many, thanks to you all.

You can never go wrong with a pretty vase and fresh flowers.

=D

Well you need at least 2 coasters! one on each end for you and another. Then I just use candle or some kind of candle fixture.

How about the trio of scented oil candles by glade? I got some the were considered "Christmas" because there were snowflakes on the pacakaging, but the scent was plain old apple cinnamon. They look really pretty lined up on the coffee table and they help keep it from getting cluttered with junk!

Candles sound so peaceful and pretty to put on your table. Just remember, the more you have on it, the more you have to move to dust it off. Think simplicity.

If you have any hobbies or collectibles, why not place one of your favorites on the table? How about a nice container of potpourri?

hiya all! went to great aunts house and found a gold painted box frame she doesnt want. its about 6inches square and 2inches deep. im thinking of re painting it gold again coz its very tarnished - the frame i mean - and its lovely with a sculptured pattern. im thinking of putting in two big candles, one cream and one apricot and filling it with either pot pourri or stones or WHAT ELSE? Has anyone got an opinion of wat wud be best? i love hearing your opinions. your advice is BRILLIANT! THANKS.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AccessoriesJanuary 23, 2008
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Saving Money on Fashion Accessories
Saving Money on Fashion Accessories
glass coffee table
Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
🎄
🍂