Helpful HintsHome Improvement

Increasing Natural Light In My Basement

I am looking for a way in increase natural light at a basement window under a deck. Any ideas?

Marian from Westminster. MD

Be sure to leave curtains or window coverings OFF that window. Nobody can see you -- it's under the deck! Also I saw on an HGTV show a little window box under the inside of the window. It it are hidden lights which shine up (not super bright) and give the iillusion of more daylight.

Also I saw in a Pottery Barn catalog a mirror that was actually many mirrors in a square grid, sectioned off as if they were window panes. In fact, in the catalog photo it looks like a window. Pottery Barn is expensive, but if you are creative, I bet you could make something similar.

Good luck, basements are hard. I know, I'm always trying to get more light into mine.

I had a dark apartment last year & I utilized whatever light there was by putting up decorative mirrors everywhere. I have never had so many mirrors in my life...Check to see how the light comes in and arrange your mirrors to bounce the light into the room...