Making Fabric Appliques for Craft Projects

How do I make my own appliques, from fabric, for my sewing projects? I am trying to make them for purses, bags, etc.

By Marilyn from SW Ontario, Canada

I'll be glad to answer your question. I've been sewing now for 45+ years and have never bothered learning how to sew on appliques until just very recently. I had to set aside my sewing projects since my sewing machine is now in the shop being repaired.

A friend of mine told me that she's made her own appliques by using a cookie cutter as a pattern. Also you can make your own patterns by using a child's coloring book. My friend also advised me not to use the iron-on adhesive since it doesn't hold up with frequent washings.

Save all your small pieces of fabric for making your appliques.

Here are a few websites to get you started. The only thing different that I don't do is use the iron-on adhesive. I pin the applique to my fabric, then I set my sewing machine on straight stitch and sew all the way around the applique close to the outer edge. Then I remove the straight pins, and set my machine on the satin zigzag stitch and sew around the applique.

I use fusible webbing which is a paper-backed stuff you iron on the reverse side of the fabric. Once it is cool, you peel away the paper and it leaves you with an iron-on fabric which is also stablized for sewing.

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric
Crafts SewingJuly 25, 2010
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Appliques to Furniture
Adding Appliques to Furniture
sewing machine
Using Fabric Selvage Edges for Crafts
Fabric Yo Yo
Making Fabric Yo Yos