Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric

Category Fabric
Fabric crafters often have a large stash of scraps in need of a project. This is a page about craft ideas using scrap fabric.

Are you a sewer or quilter? Do you have lots of small pieces of material left over? Don't throw them out, but recycle them. You can make fabric bags in various sizes to use for gift bags, jewelery, cosmetics and even to put your keys inside your handbag so you can spot them quickly when needed. I have made many of these little bags over the years.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. Just cut a rectangle shape any size you want, fold in the sides and iron, then fold down the top edge and iron.

2. Slip a cord or twine under the top folded down edge.
  3. Advertisement

4. Sew along the top to encase the cord or string.
  5. Then fold bag in half with wrong side out and sew down the sides and across the bottom.
  6. Turn right side out, tie two cord ends together and you are done. See picture.

By linn from Nova Scotia, Canada

These DREAM alphas were made from an old shirt I liked the print too well to toss it into the "rag bag". Letters were cut from inexpensive stencils after laying a dryer sheet onto the cloth and then tracing the letter onto it (instead of onto the fabric) and stapling both parts together before stitching.

Next, trim the stitched pieces around your marked line as close as you wish without clipping into your stitchwork. The staples are easy to remove, also they are better (in my opinion) than pins. I suggest using a double layer of the dryer sheets (.01 cent a sheet here) but they are slippery when trying to align the parts and hard to work with.

Come up with any combination that works for you: seasonally or thematically, use names or places, let your imagination work for you!

Source: An online craft blog but not sure what one - I look at a lot of them when I can

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

I didn't have a handkerchief or tissue handy when I needed them the other day, so I used an offcut of flannelette from sewing. It was really soft and easy on my nose, which was sore and chapped from much blowing.

Don't throw out those small pieces of fabric that are leftover from other projects. Save them for new projects, such as this cute pencil holder made from a tin can.

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder

Here is a fabric bird lined with a dryer sheet and fringed with beads. The photo shows the craft clockwise from start to finish.

Fabric bird.

I had a storage cube that I was using for my pills and vitamins. I also had a lot of long fabric strips. I put the two together by trying bows through the holes and the result was a fluffy version of what I had before.

I love it.

Fluffy Plastic Storage Cube

When I submitted my wrapped bed frame, a kind lady said she wanted to do it to her bed, but it was flat. I promised her I would submit a sample of wrapped flat wood.

Fabric wrapped handle on small wooden box with rabbit motif.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have a ton of fabric pieces in fairly large sizes. I purchased a ton of them for using as clothing on my sculpture art dolls, I'll never be able to use it all up on those! I am just learning to sew on my machine.

I would love to use them up in sewing projects. I have two daughters so it would be great to get some easy sewing ideas to create some fun things for them.

Answers

I have a suede waistcoat made of scraps. The scraps are of different colours and patterns, and most folk who saw it said it looked neat. You might need to do a fair bit of hand stitching, though, to join the scraps together.

Draw your pattern first, then make the panel out of scraps. Make the panels with a decent margin, say, 5cm / 2". Don't cut the excess material off until you have stitched all the panels together.

You can make almost anything - bags, lampshades, and so on.

Cloth scraps are great for making quilts

How old are you daughters? Yes, you can make lot of things for small girls with scraps. I made mine some tops in the shape of almost 3 corners with a draw string at the top & strings to tie in the back, also some shorts.

They loved them. Search online for more info, good luck.

You can make scrunchies. Sew a tube about 10 inches long with the fabric inside out, then turn it, pull elastic through it pretty tight, then sew the ends. You could also make throw quilts, with a large piece of fleece or soft material as the back. We have lots of these snugglies around our house.

Thank you for all the tips :) my girls are 10 years old and 8 years old :) I love creating things for them but I'm still fairly new at machine sewing lol. I love it so far. I can hand sew a little but love learning on the machine :)

I love the idea of quilts I've always wanted to try that. is it difficult to do? especially for a beginner?

*recycleable gift bags
*make appliques by ironing onto fusible web and cutting out then fusing on to clothing etc.
*napkins
*make strips and sew together to make fabric "yarn" for knitting or weave for pillow covers.
*use fabric strips as ribbon on parcels.

One of my favorites is making pot holders with scraps. You can purchace a special material to go in the center that is heat resistant but I use old thick wash cloths and towels instead. I have also made dog toys with them.

Apron, very easy to make, can be made for birthday present too. With tiny scraps, fill-up cushion with them; perfect for yoga and exercises.

These are all wonderful ideas. I love making napkins that are colorful and setting the table which makes the meal seem special. I even have fun making napkin rings from leftover junk.
Also about the scrunchies idea. You can make a scrunchie for your pet's collar. Just make it an inch or so longer than the collar and scrunch it up. Your dog or kitty looks all dressed up. Mine has a green one on now for St. Pat's day. They are easy to make and fun to put on pets.

Also there is a group called the Linus group and they make quilts for Aids babies. Contact a local quilt store and see if they know of someone in your area that is from that group. Always good to give to those folks who protect our little ones.

I have a lot of scraps, too, and have been learning to crazy quilt. You can find instructions at There's www.caron-net.com/classes/classmayfiles/clasmay1.html and www.loopylace.com/crazyquiltstudio/lessons/gettingstart.htm There are lots of sites; these are my favorite so far. I'm uploading a picture from the loopylace site.

How do I make my own appliques, from fabric, for my sewing projects? I am trying to make them for purses, bags, etc.

By Marilyn Steckly from SW Ontario, Canada

I am looking for ideas (with instructions) for crafts and other uses for fabric (large yardage to scrap-sized pieces). Thank you and God bless.

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

Other than blankets and bags, what else can I make using old scrap fabric? Keeping in mind I am not a fancy seamstress. lol! For example, I made these Easter baskets from scrap fabric and old dishpans. I have 4 kids and they love homemade things.

By Judith Q.

This is a page about using fabric selvage edges for crafts. When saving fabric scraps for future craft projects don't neglect the selvage edges. They can be used to make projects with a really unique appearance.

sewing machine

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Crafts FabricJanuary 5, 2013
😎
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Craft-Ideas-Using-Scrap-Fabric.html