Bulbs in Every Season

By mindy 109 38

Question:

I love the look and idea of bulbs, but the bulbs I have planted only last a few weeks. I see other gardens as I am driving through town that have bulb plants spring, summer and fall. I simply love it.

Hyacinth

What can I do to get these results? Are these specific bulbs I can purchase and plant?

Thank you,
Mindy from Redmond, Oregon

Answer:

Mindy,

There are long lasting bulbs (corms, tuberous-roots and rhizomes) for every season. The trick is planting them in succession (staggering plantings), planting them in large numbers (to make up for those that fail), and planting them at the appropriate time so that you have something blooming throughout the spring, summer and fall. Some bulbs are tender to your zone, meaning they have to be dug up, dried and over-wintered in above freezing temperatures. Other bulbs are winter hardy and can be left in the ground in the fall. Here are a few examples of bulbs for every season. Spring blooming bulbs are often planted in the fall, and summer and fall blooming bulbs are planted after danger of frost has passed in the spring. Unless otherwise stated, all are hardy to at least zone 5. Bulbs not hardy to zone 5 will need to be dug up and stored over winter.

Early Spring Blooms:

Mid-Spring Blooms:

Late Spring Blooms:

Early-to-Mid Summer Blooms:

Late Summer Blooms:

Fall Blooms:

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thanks for the info -- I will be trying this out :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsJuly 12, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
Spring Flowering Bulbs
Storing Spring Flowering Bulbs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:48:52 AM on 10.0.0.50 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings