Celosia

I used to grow very tall celosia, but in recent years I could not find any seed. Someone online was gracious enough to send me some seed. We are supposed to get frost tonight so I wanted everyone to see how beautiful these tall celosia are! They do like rich soil but are easy to grow.

By Elaine from IA

That is the biggest I have EVER seen Celosia.

I haven't had good luck with it though. The first year we had it, it got about a foot and a half tall, then the tops died off. So we figured too close to the heat off the road.

I moved them to the side yard where they get mostly sun, except early morning, and they didn't seem to like it there even more. They basically died after the water in the root dried up.

I planted from a pack, but made sure to break up the roots, so they weren't "pot bound".

Any tips?

Thanks

Kaiti

Kathi, the first time I grew Celosia was from a seed tape that someone gave me. They were absolutely beautiful. That was 30 years ago. Then about 20 years ago, I bought some plants and planted and again they were just gorgeous. Then after that the plants you buy at the nursery would only get about a foot tall and did not grow well at all. I begged someone on a gardening board I belong to to send me some seed from tall Celosia. They did, and I started a few plants, although I confess, they are not really very easy to start from seed. I think I got lucky. So I don't know what to tell you. I will save some of the seed from this year and if you want some, I will be glad to send you some. They are very small seed.