Home Remedies for a Dog with Flatulence

I need a solution to a "bad" gas problem with my Boston Terrier.

By Joann from San Diego, CA

I have a feeling the food you are feeding may be the problem. Just like us, when a dog eats something it is having trouble digesting, there will be stink. :) What are you feeding? Many dog foods in the stores have so many fillers that a dog cannot possibly digest them all. The stool will also be lighter in color and more pasty than formed. We like foods like Premium Edge and California natural.

I have read that gas in dogs can be caused by the dog eating while it is laying down. You can solve this by buying a dog feeder that is rasied so the dog stands on all 4's and is level to the bowl.You can also use old phone books or such to raise the bowl up and that might be just the answer.

Of course going to the Vet is the best option but you might try this for a bit and see if it cures

the problems. Good luck

BTs are known for their nuclear-powered stink bombs, which I believe is related to the amount of air they swallow being brachycephalic dogs (the smashed-in looking nose is a physical characteristic.) That's also why they snort and snore. too.

You might want to check with your vet, but I remember using liquid drops for babies with the anti-gas ingredient simethicone (Mylicon drops?) which did help. I sympathize with you; my own BT could clear a room in her younger years. They are wonderful dogs - good luck! truerblue in PA