Uses for Playing Cards

Below are some ideas for reusing playing cards. Feel free to post your own ideas in the feedback forum.

If you have an incomplete deck of playing cards, don't throw them away! Use them as bookmarks! You will never again have to buy those expensive bookmarks at the bookstore!

By Kimberly

I read somewhere to decoupage them onto a card table and the backs of the chairs. It looks cute.

By Liz

Decorating Ideas and More

I recently saw an interior designer do a game room and they placed cards around the edges of a square card table making a border and polyurethane over them to make a game table. You could add to this by using Liz's idea of putting them on the backs of chairs as well.

You could buy a package of those jewelry rings that you connect lockets to necklaces, etc. and make mobiles, a curtain similar to the bead curtains of the 70's, or a window covering for kids rooms or game rooms. Use larger rings for the top row to slide onto curtain hangers.

You could even arrange them for a framed picture for the walls.

You could glue them together to make little fans for kids to use in church or on a hot day.

If they have a cute design on the backs, glue them to a piece of card-stock and make it a 3-D picture for a greeting card.

By Tawnda

Card Houses

Kids can build card houses out of them.

By kijay

Refrigerator Magnets

Let the kids cut cool designs out of them, and tape a small picture to the back (card value side) then affix a magnet for a cute refrigerator decoration.

By kijay

Playing Card Ornaments

I just found this. I think it would still be cool with regular playing cards (either the face or the back if it's got a neat pattern).

Crystal Card Game Ornaments:

By calnorth

Card People

I saw in a cute valentine man made from a queen or king of hearts card. They used pipe cleaners for the arms and legs and had the arm holding a sucker. Sort of looked like the deck of cards from the movie Alice in Wonderland.

By Brandy

A cardhouse made from a deck of cards

* Glue stick blank paper to the face of the card & used for flash cards ~ learning fun for the entire family.

* Dress up like Gambit & flick them at passers-by ::smirk::

* I've personally used a few cards as a wedge to stop the rattling noise on my dashboard (like most people use matchbooks).

* Glue Stick the cards to a bedroom wall (edging or wall paper) then clear-coat them. They should stay forever.

The backs of playing cards in many cases are quite attractive.

If you have many differant backs of these playing cards you could create a very unique artwork from them. Maybe a picture within a picture.

I doubt ,I have the talent to create such a work but there are many people that do.

Imagine if you made such a piece ?You just might be creating a family heirloom.Heirlooms are getting harder and harder to create in today's disposible society.

So how about it? You out there GIVE IT A TRY.

It Is Your Deal

Mr. Thrifty

Teachers could use them as a border for a bulletin board...something like "play your cards right....."

I saw a decorating show a while back that used playing cards as a wall border (or part of a border) that went about center height of the wall of a game room or family room. DIY probably. Can't quite remember the jist of it.

you can make purses out of playing cards and duct tape

Use them as flash cards with your grandkids to teach them numbers. Hopefully even if you don't have a complete set there will be enough numbers to be beneficial.

Craft Uses For Playing Cards
Crafts Using Playing Cards
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Playing Cards Costume
Framed Business Card
Other Uses for Business Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards