Thrifty Denim for Aprons

I needed some denim to make a couple of sturdy aprons, but it can cost over $10 a yard for the good stuff! (Even with store coupons, it is expensive). So I went to the thrift store and bought two long denim dresses for only $5 each and I have plenty of fabric for 4 aprons. Plus if I lay it out right, I already have the bottom hemmed and I can reuse the pockets and buttons!

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Did you make the full apron or a half apron?

I've done the very same thing. I needed denim but didn't want to pay the high price for the fabric so I purchased a woman's skirt at a Salvation Army Thrift Store. I made two denim bags one to hold my hair dryer and another one to hold my curling iron, and curling brush.

Could you post a picture of your apron, please?

Shirley golden7673 AT

In the craft section there is a tutorial on making denim aprons from men's overalls. They turn out FANTASTIC and since you can purchase them at a thrift store, VERY economical. I will send you photos, if you need them.

Photo of a quilt made with tshirts.
Crafts Using Recycled Clothing
Crafts SewingDecember 9, 2009
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 20, 2016 at 5:20:16 PM on in 939 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.