Making a Crocheted Denim Purse
This is a denim purse with jute handles and a button closure. I crocheted a rectangle for a sample, since I wasn't sure the heavy weight denim would work for this project. Instead of starting over, I chose to make a purse with it.
Approximate Time: One afternoon
- sewing scissors
- denim blue jeans
- sewing needle
- yarn needle
- large button
- sewing machine
- large crochet hook
- elastic ponytail holder
Cut denim into 1 1/2 inch strips. I just used scraps I had from other projects, so the colors don't match exactly.
- Sew ends together to have one continuous piece to work with. I did this by machine, but you can also do it by hand.
- Crochet a rectangle twice the size you want your purse to be tall. My purse ended up being 14 inches wide by 9 inches high.
- Sew the sides together.
- Crochet jute as wide as you would like your handles to be. I crocheted the jute about 1 1/2 inches wide until I liked the width for the purse.
- Sew the side seams with the sewing needle and fishing line. Attach the jute handles through a "hole" in the crocheted piece and tie a slip knot. Repeat until the handles are attached in a placement that satisfies you.
- For closure, attach a large button and an elastic loop for closure.
By Monica from Cortez, CO
CommentsRead More Comments
Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.
Recycle those old denim jeans or shirts into a cool Rag Bag! I crocheted this rag bag using two old denim shirts that were worn out.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.