Crocheted Towel Topper

Category Crochet
This handy craft project allows you to hang your kitchen towel on a bar, kitchen cabinet knob, or oven door. You also could use it to hang a hand towel in a bathroom. This page features several patterns for making a crocheted towel topper.

I like the towel toppers that have a concealed crochet chain so you can hang a towel over the chain without having to cut the towel in half and deal with the cut edge. I also like that type of topper because when the towel gets dirty, but the topper isn't, you can change the towel, and the topper lasts longer because it is washed less often.

I made my leaves with Red Heart 'Frosty Green Fleck', but the topper can be made all in one color or in fall colors like red and green for Christmas or orange and brown for Thanksgiving.

Materials

Leaf Directions (Make 2)

With green, ch 12

(1) (This is the right side of the leaf) Sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 9 ch, in last ch make sc, ch 3 and sc; working along opposite side of staring chain, sc in next 8 ch. Ch 3, turn.

(2) Sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(3) Working in BACK loops of each sc, sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(4 through 8) Repeat row 3. At end of last row, do not turn, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off. (End of leaf pattern.)

With the wrong side of a leaf facing you, and working through both loops of the stitches, attach white yarn with a sl st in the last sc made on row 8.

Ch 14, sl st in the first sc made on row 8. (This is the loop for hanging the towel.) Ch 2, turn.

Next, place the second leaf behind the first, wrong sides together. (The hanging chain will be sandwiched between the leaves.) You will be working the next row through both leaves at the same time, which will join them together.

(1) Working through BOTH loops of each sc, sc in next 8 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(2 through 6) This and all remaining rows are worked through BACK loops of each sc. Sc in next 8 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(7) Sl st in next 6 sc, sc in next 3 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(8 through 12) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(13) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 5 and sc (The ch 5 is the button hole.); sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off.

Sew a button just above one of the leaves, in the center.

Source: My own design.

By Fortunately

Crochet several of these and put them in handy places throughout your kitchen; on the oven door and the refrigerator handle are the best places for these. My version is different from most since I don't cut the towel in half, but fold it and use the whole towel. I use a bead from the old beaded car seats. However, you may use a large button just as easily.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

Fold towel in half. Using a knitting needle or ice pick, punch holes across the towel through the double thickness to use as a base for the stitches 1/2 inch apart. (See photo)

Base Row: SC in first hole, ch1* SC in next hole, ch1. Repeat from * across. ch2, turn.

2nd Row: DC in each SC (skip the ch1 sts) across, ch2, turn.

3rd Row: Skip one DC,* DC in next DC, Skip next DC. Repeat from *across. ch2, turn.

4th Row: Dc in each ch1 space across ending with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

5th Row: Skip first ch1 space, DC in next space*Skip next space, DC in next space. Repeat from *with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

6th Row: DC in each DC across. ch2, turn.

Rows 7-15: Repeat Row 6.

Row 16: DC in first 3 DC, ch2, Skip 1 DC (This makes the button hole) DC in next 3 DC. ch 2, turn.

Row 17: DC in first 3 DC, 1DC in ch2 space, DC in next 3 DC. ch2, turn.

Row 18: SC in each DC across. Fasten off and weave end into your work. Fasten Bead or Button in center of Row 6.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to Download the Crochet Fingertip Towel Instructions in PDF Format.

When I was a young girl my aunt always had one of these hanging on the stove and fridge. I use the whole towel; some like to cut it in half, but it looks nice with the whole towel. I only use 100% cotton yarn. I use Sugar and Cream crochet thread.

Work a blanket stitch across the top and then crochet single stitches across. Always add one stitch at the end so you can turn it around. This way you will have the same amount of stitches as you go. You do about 8 to 10 rows and then decrease by one each time leaving the extra stitch off.

You will notice that it will become narrower as you go. When you have five stitches left, crochet two then add to that stitch four extra and skip one and go into the last two crochet at least two down and turn around to add the button hole. After you have completed it sew a button on and it will hang on your stove or fridge. It only takes about 20 minutes to make one, once you get going.

You will prevent having messy hand prints all over the place. If you need any more instructions just ask.

Here are some that are ready to go and find a home. I hope you enjoy turning out as many as you can. They make really nice gifts for teachers or a craft show. It seems no one makes them any more.

I like to make them in memory of my aunt.

It doesn't matter what pattern you use for the first rows connecting to the towel, but you want to make sure you make the long flap (where the button is) long enough to fit around the hook, towel rack, or stove handle where you are planning to hang the towel.

Crochet tops for kitchen towels are popular craft projects. This example explains how to make a really cute dress pattern towel topper. This is a guide about crocheted dress towel hanger.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I received tea towels with a little dress as the top, from my daughter. They are so cute I have called everywhere and have looked on line for the pattern with no luck. I have included a picture of the tea towel. I hope someone could help me.

By Cindy

Answers

Best Answer

http://www.thri  Towel-Guide.html

I am searching for directions for crochet toppers for kitchen towels to hold them on handles for easy reach and for crochet towel rings. Does anyone have these to share? Thanks.

By Nelwyn Mills from Bunkie, LA

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Here is one that I designed.
http://www.thri  1824958.tip.html

Best Answer

I found this website through a search engine.
http://www.croc  sy-towel-topper/
This is very easy to make.

My mom used to crochet the tops of tea towels. She crocheted on the top of them to create a holder on the top that came down with a loop and a button on it, so it could be hung on the handle of the cabinet or drawers in the kitchen. I do not know how to do this. Does anyone in the thrifty fun audience know how to do this?

I would also like to learn to crochet. How does one go about doing this?

By Catharine Burke

Answers

I dont know how to crochet on top of tea towels though there is a woman in my town who does it and sells them for 3 dollars apeice and they are adorable. Anyway I can say something about learning to crochet. The way I started learning. I bought a kit at walmart called learn to crochet, it has a book, needles, etc. Shows you the basics to learn. Very helpful to me, then I got the crocheting for dummies book, lol.

ok www.freecraftunlimited.com/dishtowel. Has the instructions and as for learning to crochet they do have videos on the computer or you can go to your local library to teach you how. Good luck

You can use a taspry sewing needle which is a plastic needle to do hand sewing to start your beginning part of the base of the top of the hand towel then after you put about maybe 4 or 5 base on the size of the top of the towel start knitting any shape or crocheting any shape you want rectangle is the easiest by knitting together the ends each time you do a line to make the shape go retangly.

When finish sew your favorite or match your color button on the top middle part of the rectangle shape that you did on the hand towel. Then after looking at you have a tea towel topper. I always called those hanging towels. But never knew they were called tea towel toppers. I hope I helped. Pam G.

I am looking for a pattern to crochet a "hanger" onto a cotton hand towel which I have cut in half.

Thanks,
Jan from Richland Center, WI

Answers

Go to freepatterns.com and you can find lots of patterns for the towel toppers.

By c.gibbie (Guest Post)

I crochet and sell towels as part of my crafts. Have always been told that they are very nice. I use the smallest hook to punch holes in my towels. Be careful however, I have put the hook through and into my finger. Painful. Please use a thimble.

I would suggest using a punch to punch holes into tea towels or fabrics. Easier on the blood loss. Regards, Laurel.

How do I make a straight crocheted neck to hang a towel, not a flared one? Thanks for your help.

Answers

There are so many different types of crochet towel hangers out there. I think it would be best if you selected the pattern you liked the best. I have found you over 50 different patterns to choose from. Each one can be printed out in a PDF file. You can find a pattern you like by visiting this website.

https://www.cro  owel_toppers.php

I am looking for a pattern to crochet or knit on to a kitchen towel, to make as gifts.

By Pauline M. from Fort Wayne, IN

I would like instructions for crocheting a dish towel hanger. I want to make the one that has a ring you crochet around with a button attached to hang from either a stove or fridge handle. TIA

By Elaine from White Pigeon, MI

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

A little while ago I sent a request to help me with my dilemna to make a hanging crochet hand towel. I'm very happy with it and very grateful for all the help, the meat fork worked for me! I wanted to place a picture of my towel for you to see.

Kate

Crocheted Hand Towel

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I would like the directions for a crochet dish towel top. The one I saw had a button on to fasten it.

Mahalo,
Judy

Judy from Aiea, HI

Answers:

Crochet Dish Towel Top

bernat.com

You should find that pattern here for free.

(02/28/2007)

By jude

Crochet Dish Towel Top

Here is one that I designed.

thriftyfun.com (07/13/2009)

By Fortunately