Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks
November 6, 2007
U.S. flag afghan has 264 crocheted granny squares. To finish the project each square has to be hand stitched into strips, then all strips sewn together.
Approximate Time 2-3 months or less
- 16 oz. dark red worsted yarn
- 15 oz. white
- 4 oz. navy blue
- tapestry needle
- H hook or size needed to obtain gauge
7 dc = 2inches, 4 dc rows = 3inches. Each block is 3 x 3 inches.
(make 113 dark red, 93 white)
Rnd 1: Ch 4, sl st in first ch to form ring, ch 3,
2 dc in ring, (ch 3, 3 dc in ring) 3 times, ch 3,
join with sl st in top of ch 3. (12 dc made)
Rnd 2: Sl st in next 2 sts, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc
ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 sp, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc)
in each ch-3 sp around, join. Fasten off.
Star Block (make 50)
Rnd 1: With white, ch 4, sl st in first ch to form ring,
ch 3, 2 dc in ring, (ch 3, 3 dc in ring) 3 times,
ch 3, join with sl st in top of ch 3. Fasten off. (12 dc made)
Rnd 2: Join navy blue with (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc,
ch 3, 3 dc) in any ch-3 sp, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in each
ch-3 sp around, join. Fasten off.
Navy Blue Half Block (make 8)
Row 1: With navy blue, ch 14, dc in 4th ch from hook,
dc in next ch, ch 1, skip next 2 ch,
dc in next 3 ch, ch 1, dc in last 3 ch, turn. (9 dc made)
Row 2: Ch 4, skip next 2 sts, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp,
skip next 3 sts, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, skip next 2
sts, dc in last st. Fasten off.
NOTE: All blocks are sewn together, stitching through back loops.
- Sew four strips with 20 dark red blocks each and three strips with 11 dark red blocks each.
- Sew three strips with 20 white blocks each and three strips with 11 white blocks each.
- Beginning with long strips at bottom, sew strips together beginning with dark red and alternating dark red and white.
- Sew five strips with six star blocks each, sew four strips with five star blocks each and a half block on each end.
- Beginning with strips of six star blocks, sew strips together alternating six star and five star strips.
- Sew six strips together, alternating, red, white, etc.
- With right sides facing each other, sew field of stars and six strips together through back loops with navy blue yarn. End off and weave in ends.
- With right sides together sew in remaining field of stars and stripes to the rest of the afghan.
Working around entire outer edge, with right side of afghan facing you, join dark red with (sc, ch 2, 2 dc) in seam between dark red stripe and field of stars, (sc, ch 2, 2 dc) in center dc of each 3-dc group and in each seam around edge to field of stripes changing to navy blue in last st made, (sc, ch 2, 2 dc) in center dc of each 3-dc group and in each seam around, join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
By Marge W. from Sanborn, NY
By (Guest Post)
November 6, 20073 found this helpful
That is beautiful! I love patriotic things!
November 6, 20070 found this helpful
absolutely beautifully done! Fifty stars to you! You motivate me to learn to crochet! I cross stitch but love to learn to crochet! Thanks for sharing all the instructions too.
May 29, 20171 found this helpful
5-29-2017 l have made this afghan. It came out beautifully.
Read More Comments Jess
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts
May 31, 20171 found this helpful
We would love to see a picture of your finished afghan. :)