Crocheted Granny Square Heart

Category Patterns
The granny square is a very popular crochet pattern, with many beautiful variations and uses. This is a guide about the crocheted granny square heart.

Using a granny as a base, you can make this pretty heart for any occasion.

Approximate Time: 1-1.5 hours

Instructions:

This is a pretty simple pattern, but it looks complicated. No one has to know how little you had to work on it so it will be our little secret!

I use double strand thread for two reasons. One, it works up faster. Two, when I have a set of tails, I weave them to the back about 1/8 inch apart and then tie them. That means it will most likely never come undone.

I used burgundy and silver, but you can use any colors you want.

1. To begin, make a chain of four and join to make a ring.
  2. Ch 3, make 2 more dc's in ring, ch 3, make three more sets of 3 with ch 3 between.
    NOTE: My grannies are almost always three instead of twos. I think this is a fuller look, and means I don't have to chain any between the sets, as the three set is wider and doesn't require any.
  3. Join to finish row 1.
  4. Continue as before to make 4 rows.
  5. Break off and tie in tails in back.
  6. Join at space between the 1st and 2nd cluster on last row of square. Ch 8, sl st in space between 3rd and 4th clusters.
  7. Ad

8. Sl st in next two stitches, ch 1 and turn.
  9. 1 dc, ch 1, across all 8 chains, sl st two stitches on granny base.
  10. St st to corner of granny, ch 1 and turn, making dc, ch1 in each space of previous row.
  11. Sl st to center of that corner, and break off.
  12. Repeat this pattern on other side.
  13. When you have finished the last dc, sl st in corner as other side but don't break off.
  14. Ad

15. From here, ch 4 and make slst in every 2nd st to corner, ch 6 for a picot on the base of the granny (since it's turned this would be the "point" of it) and continue up the other side.
  16. When you reach the dc clusters, begin ch 6 and sl st in each space.
  17. When you get done with the first shell "arch", ch 6 and skip the center, sl st and then begin the ch 6 across the second arch.
  18. Break off and tie in back.
  19. Your hanger can be a chain 26, sl st in 6th ch from hook for picot, repeating that again in the same st, then another ch 20 to the same ch 6 loop you did on the other side, which for me was the second one. Or, you can use ribbon, or simply use the ch 6 space in the middle for a place to hang the art work.
  20. Ad

21. If you choose to block or starch the work, do it before you put on the pretties.
  22. I used three roses and a button with ribbon, but you can use anything you like.

This works up to about 5 inches across and down.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Salem, OR