Making a Wheelchair Lapghan

Category Afghans
When mobility is assisted by a wheelchair, a cozy gift can be a perfectly sized blanket to help keep the occupant warm. This is a guide about making a wheelchair lapghan.

Skill Level: Beginner

Materials:

• Red Heart Super Saver yarn:
    1 skein (7 oz) Aran
    1 skein (7 oz) cafe
    2 skeins (5 oz each) shaded browns
  • Ad

• G, H, I, J, or K hook, your choice depending on yarn used and tightness of stitch desired

Pattern:

4 rows cafe, 2 rows Aran, 2 rows shaded browns, 2 rows Aran. Finish with 4 rows cafe.

Body:

Row 1: With cafe, ch 84. Dc in 4th ch from hook, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, [ch 2, dc in same ch as sc, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch] rep across, turn.

Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same st as beg ch-2, sc in ch-2 sp, [ch 2, dc in same sp, sc in next ch-2 sp] rep across.

Rows 3-4: Rep row 2, change to Aran in last sc, turn.

Rows 5-6: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to shaded browns, turn.

Rows 7-8: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to Aran, turn.

Rows 9-10: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to cafe, turn.

Rep rows 1-10 for 90 rows total.

Rows 91-94: With cafe, rep row 2. Fasten off.

Bottom Insert: With Aran, ch 28, rep pattern for body until 30 rows have been worked ending with 4 rows cafe. Fasten off.

Center first row of insert to first row of bottom of body; pin in place. Bring remainder of first row around sides of insert; pin in place and sew.

Edging:

RND 1: (WS) Attach cafe, work around in pattern, around entire piece, join in beg sc, turn.

RND 2: (RS) Work in pattern around, join in beg sc. Fasten off.

Ties:

(Make 2) These ties will enable user to tie the lapghan to the bars on the wheel chair to prevent it from sliding off onto the floor. With cafe, ch 101, sl st in sc ch from hook, sl st in each rem ch across. Fasten off.

Tie knot in each end.

Fold tie in half; pull fold through loop 5 patterns from side and 2nd row from top; pull ends through lp and pull tight.

Source: I am making this for a friend with cerebral palsy

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

This was crocheted using Super Saver yarn and a size H hook. It uses 2 colors: one solid, one matching variegated. Works up very quickly and is warm without being heavy. This was made for a friend with cerebral palsy.

Approximate Time: About 14 hours

Instructions:

Row 1: With MC, ch 101. Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across (99 dc).

Row 2: Dc in first 3 dc, *ch 1, skip next dc, dc in each of next 3 dc*, rep from * to * across. Turn.

Row 3: Dc in each st and space across. Join CC. Turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *post tr around the post of next corresponding dc 2 rows below, skip dc behind tr just made, sc in each of next 3 dc in current row, *, rep from * to * across ending with sc in last dc. Turn.

Row 5: Dc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next sc*, rep from * to * across. Join MC. Turn.

Row 6: Dc in first dc, dc in next space, 2 dc in each space across, ec in last dc. Turn.

Repeat rows 2-6 until lapghan measures the length you want, ending with row 3 of pattern. Fasten off.

Border: Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner, sl st in first sc to join.

Weave in ends.

Source: This pattern comes from Crochet Fantasy Afghans magazine, February 1999, #5. The pattern makes into a full size afghan, but I made it smaller to fit on a wheel chair.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

What size should a lapghan or wheelchair afghan be?

By Susan from Suffern, NY

Answers

For a comfortable fit, it's best to know if the person is long legged or short and has a thin or wide build. I've made some for various people and always go by that. You don't want it to drag the floor and get caught up in the wheels or have the edges brush against the wheels either to get easily soiled.

A good size is a basic 4' by 4' square. This is perfect for a giant granny square, but also easy when you want to make 16 1' squares, too. Or, you simply start the row at 4' and keep going till it's another 4' and then make a nice border. If someone is small or in a wheel chair, try a 3' by 3' piece of cloth, and if it's the perfect size, make it like that. If someone wants to cover more of their legs and less of their laps, you can also make it oblong, say 3' by 4'. Good luck!

Here's the google link.

http://www.goog  4db05700009e71d0

I have a pattern book that's right up your alley! But wouldn't you know I can't find it right now? Anyway, an average lapghan is approximately 36" x 40". Wheel chair afghans are usually a bit smaller. I made one this past Christmas for a firend and he loves his. I made it about 36 x 42.

Here is a link to the book I have. It's really great.
http://www.witt  s/prod_1364.html

One thing about making for a wheel chair though. Since my friend has cerebral palsy and therefore doesn't have use of his arms or hands as well as his legs, I made ties to go on the top two corners so that his caretaker can tie it to the chair so it doesn't constantly slip off. I also put ties on the bottom two corners to be tied to the bars that the foot rests are on. This prevents it from getting caught up in the wheels or dragging the ground. This tip isn't in the book or any pattern I've found.

I also crocheted him a hat and scarf to match his afghan. He absolutely loves the set!

Try Annies Attic for patterns. But the other suggestions were perfect. I am in a wheelchair long legged and queen size. So there is no magic size.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I've made it a habit of taking digital photos of all my completed projects during the year. Starting in Jan. - Dec. 2009, I crocheted 3 afghans and 5 wheelchair lapghans for veterans at our local V.A. Hospital.

Here is another lapghan that I just finished a few days ago for the V.A. Hospital. This is a great way of using up leftover spare yarn.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

colorful lapghan

Comment Like this photo? 12

Craft: Granny Square Wheelchair Lapghan

Here is my second wheelchair lapghan I just finished. The approximate measurements are 36 inches wide by 48 inches long. Both 30 inch cords can be removed before washing. This also was another one of my creations, and didn't follow any pattern.

I saw my neighbor out in his wheelchair early this afternoon. I asked if he would stop over so I could estimate and see if I made it long enough. The only thing left to do was to crochet the scalloped edging and make the two ties.

The first wheelchair lapghan was all hand sewn, and this one I crocheted all the squares together.

He told me that my timing was perfect since he's leaving on a camping trip tomorrow and will definitely use it to stay warm at night.

I always attach a tag with the washing instructions.

Crochet Hook - Size G

Source: My Own Pattern

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Craft: Granny Square Wheelchair Lapghan

We live in a very large apartment complex and two male residents have to use wheelchairs. I just finished this lapghan the other night and have started on a second one.

The approximate measurements are 36 inches wide by 48 inches long. I made two removable 30 inch long cords so the lapghan can be tied to the back of the wheelchair if so desired.

I didn't follow a pattern, this is my own creation.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Answers: