Crocheted Towel Topper

Category Crochet
A kitchen towel with blue yarn crocheted on the top.
This handy craft project allows you to hang your kitchen towel on a bar, kitchen cabinet knob, or oven door. You also could use it to hang a hand towel in a bathroom. This page features several patterns for making a crocheted towel topper.

I like the towel toppers that have a concealed crochet chain so you can hang a towel over the chain without having to cut the towel in half and deal with the cut edge. I also like that type of topper because when the towel gets dirty, but the topper isn't, you can change the towel, and the topper lasts longer because it is washed less often.

I made my leaves with Red Heart 'Frosty Green Fleck', but the topper can be made all in one color or in fall colors like red and green for Christmas or orange and brown for Thanksgiving.

Materials

Leaf Directions (Make 2)

With green, ch 12

(1) (This is the right side of the leaf) Sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 9 ch, in last ch make sc, ch 3 and sc; working along opposite side of staring chain, sc in next 8 ch. Ch 3, turn.

(2) Sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(3) Working in BACK loops of each sc, sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(4 through 8) Repeat row 3. At end of last row, do not turn, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off. (End of leaf pattern.)

With the wrong side of a leaf facing you, and working through both loops of the stitches, attach white yarn with a sl st in the last sc made on row 8. Ch 14, sl st in the first sc made on row 8. (This is the loop for hanging the towel.) Ch 2, turn.

Next, place the second leaf behind the first, wrong sides together. (The hanging chain will be sandwiched between the leaves.) You will be working the next row through both leaves at the same time, which will join them together.

(1) Working through BOTH loops of each sc, sc in next 8 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(2 through 6) This and all remaining rows are worked through BACK loops of each sc. Sc in next 8 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(7) Sl st in next 6 sc, sc in next 3 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(8 through 12) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(13) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 5 and sc (The ch 5 is the button hole.); sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off.

Sew a button just above one of the leaves, in the center.

Source: My own design.

By Fortunately

This pattern is great! I'm making up Christmas towels and am using Christmas Green and Red and they look like holly leaves! Thanks for sharing this pattern!

Anonymous

Here is one made with verigated colored yarn.

Do you have patterns for any others? I like it!

Grandma Jan

I love the design. Can't wait to crochet it.

Thank you for the pattern.

Anonymous

Javajano, I don't have patterns for any others, but do have the knit version of this pattern if anyone is interested.

Anonymous

I received an email from lindylou31 requesting the instructions for the knitted version of the towel topper, so here it is. The knitted version is pictured below.

Knit Venetian Leaf Towel Topper

4 Size 8 double-pointed knitting needles

2 stitch holders

2 markers

Worsted weight yarn - green

Worsted weight yarn - white

Button, approximately 3/4" diameter

Scissors

Darning needle

Sewing needle and thread

[NOTE: You will be placing a marker on one of the needles in order to mark it as 'needle 1'. Because you will be binding off and adding stitches to that needle, reposition the marker as needed, to keep it on the needle. The needle with the marker on it is needle 1. The center needle is needle 2, the last needle with stitches on it is needle 3.]

MS = "move stitches" To move stitches, transfer 1 stitch from the center needle to needle 1 (as if to purl), then transfer 1 stitch from the center needle to needle 3 (as if to purl). The stitch to be moved is always the stitch that is closest to the needle to which it will be moved.

With green yarn, cast on 5 stitches, place a marker. Cast on 5 more stitches.

On a second needle, cast on 2 stitches.

With needle 2 to your right and working along the bottom of the cast-on stitches of needle 1, beginning at the end nearest needle 2, insert a third needle between the first 2 loops of needle 1 and pull up a loop. Working between the loops of needle one, pull up 8 more loops.

(Row 1) Needle 3: BO 1 st in K, K accross. Needle 2: K in the front and back of both stitches. Needle 3: K across, BO the last st in knit.

(Row 2) Purl across on each needle. MS

(Row 3) Needle 3: BO 1 st in P, P across. Needle 2: P in the front and back of both stitches. Needle 1: P across, BO the last st in purl.

(Row 4) Knit across on each needle. MS

(Row 5 through 16) (Repeat rows 1 through 4) 3 times.

FO. (You will be transferring the stitches onto stitch holders. Be sure to also transfer the marker.) Beginning with needle 1, as if to purl, place needle 1 stitches on a stitch holder. Place needle 2 stitches on the same holder. Working in the same direction, place needle 3 stitches on the second stitch holder.

Make a second leaf. Fasten off, but do not place on a stitch holder.

Hold the second leaf so that the marker is on the right hand side, then place the other leaf behind, having the stitch holder that has the marker, on the left hand side. Using the spare needle, pick up one stitch from the needle, then one stitch from the stitch holder that has no marker on it. Continue alternating between the needle and stitch holder until no stitches remain on the needle or stitch holder, be sure to include the marker. [There will be an odd number of stitches, so at the end, just transfer the extra stitch (or stitches) to the needle. Do the same when transferring stitches onto the last needle.]

Place the first stitch from the center needle onto the new spare needle, then place the first stitch from the other stitch holder onto the same needle. Repeat. You will have 4 stitches on the center needle. Using the new spare needle, transfer the remaining stitches of the needle and stitch holder in the same way. When you reach the marker, remove it.

(Row 17) Having needle 1 to your right, attach white yarn just under the first stitch. On needle 1, (K 2 sts together) across, until 1 stitch remains, knit the last stitch. On needle 2, (K 2 sts. together) twice. On needle 3, (K 2 sts together) across until 1 stitch remains, knit the last stitch. Next time you reach the marker, remove it.

(Row 18) P in each stitch of all 3 needles. MS

(Row 19) BO the first stitch in purl, P across. Center needle: (P in front and back of next stitch) twice. On last needle, P across, BO the last stitch in purl.

(Row 20) K in each stitch of all 3 needles. MS

(Row 21) BO the first stitch in knit, K across. Center needle: (K in front and back of next stitch) twice. On last needle, K across, BO the last stitch in knit.

(Rows 22 through 32) Repeat rows 18 through 21, ending with row 20.

(Row 33) BO 6 sts in knit, K across. Center needle: (K in front and back of next stitch) twice. Last needle: K across, BO last stitch in knit.

(Row 34) BO 6 sts in purl, purl in remaining stitches on all 3 needles. MS

(Row 35) BO 1 st in purl, P across. Center needle: (P in front and back on next stitch) twice. Last needle: P across, BO last stitch in purl.

(Row 36) K in each stitch of all 3 needles. MS

(Row 37) BO 1 st in knit, K across. Center needle: (K in front and back of next stitch) twice. Last needle: K across, BO last stitch in knit.

(Row 38) P in each stitch of all 3 needles. MS

(Row 39 through 42) Repeat rows 35 through 38.

(Row 43) BO 1 st in purl, P across. Center needle: P first st, CO 4 (for buttonhole), P last stitch. Last needle: P across, BO last stitch in purl.

(Row 44) BO all stitches in knit. FO.

To make a chain (towel-hanging loop), with green, CO 14, BO all stitches in knit, FO. Sew one end of the chain between the 2 leaves, (where the leaves are joined). Sew the other end of the chain to the opposite side of the leaves.

Use the darning needle to weave the yarn ends into the back of your work. Sew the button just above the leaf.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a towel topper. Is it something you just hang a towel up with? Why not use towel bars? I don't understand why you need them. Please explain to me their purpose and how they work.

Anonymous

Some people don't have a towel bar in their kitchen. With a topper, the towel stays where you put it and people won't grab the hand towel to wipe up spills.

I love this look but I don't understand how it attaches. It's not attached to the towel?

Can you rate the level of ability?

I just started this and mine is already not looking like the picture. Do you have a tutorial video of this so I can follow along? I'm not sure if I'm not doing something correctly or what's going on. I just frogged mine or I would post a picture.

Anonymous

Yes this was just great. I want to thank you so much for shareing this pattern. GOD BLESS YOU.

Crochet several of these and put them in handy places throughout your kitchen; on the oven door and the refrigerator handle are the best places for these. My version is different from most since I don't cut the towel in half, but fold it and use the whole towel. I use a bead from the old beaded car seats. However, you may use a large button just as easily.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

Fold towel in half. Using a knitting needle or ice pick, punch holes across the towel through the double thickness to use as a base for the stitches 1/2 inch apart. (See photo)

Base Row: SC in first hole, ch1* SC in next hole, ch1. Repeat from * across. ch2, turn.

2nd Row: DC in each SC (skip the ch1 sts) across, ch2, turn.

3rd Row: Skip one DC,* DC in next DC, Skip next DC. Repeat from *across. ch2, turn.

4th Row: Dc in each ch1 space across ending with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

5th Row: Skip first ch1 space, DC in next space*Skip next space, DC in next space. Repeat from *with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

6th Row: DC in each DC across. ch2, turn.

Rows 7-15: Repeat Row 6.

Row 16: DC in first 3 DC, ch2, Skip 1 DC (This makes the button hole) DC in next 3 DC. ch 2, turn.

Row 17: DC in first 3 DC, 1DC in ch2 space, DC in next 3 DC. ch2, turn.

Row 18: SC in each DC across. Fasten off and weave end into your work. Fasten Bead or Button in center of Row 6.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

click_here_to_download_the_crochet_fingertip_towel_instructions_in_pdf_format.

Harlean,

Thanks for the photos! My grandmother (she didn't crochet) gave me one of these years ago but I could never figure out how the towel was prepared to start the base row. I have crocheted for years and I always wanted to make these for myself and for gifts. I like the idea of using the whole towel. I'm off to rummage through my towels!!

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL

I have been wanting to make these for a long time, but could never find the instructions! They have such pretty kitchen towels out now and the beautiful color yarns they also have out now will look stunning when put together! Thanks so much for posting this!

You have given us so many great crafty things to help us out around the house. We appreciate them all-Thank you!

I get these at a craft fair my club has - they sell very well. One paired with a nylon net scrubbie is a wonderful gift. Several of these towells make a nice shower gift.

I like this a lot, I have made a few from rug yarn and also worsted yarn but last year for Christmas my brother wanted his usual hat which for the past two years he wanted this and for the back of the hat I added a flap like this kitchen towel and he hasn't complained at all about the hat or my way of crocheting them.

Again thank you very much I always wanted to learn how to make them so I could put one on my oven door every month each one different. Could never find the instrustrons so again thank you love the ideal

Beautiful job on the towel, can't wait to make one.

I have a pattern from my grandmother that I treasure but I printed this out to compare. Thank you for posting this.

An elderly friend taught me how to make these several years ago,and I have made LOTS of them. I actually cut a dish towel in half and you get TWO out of a towel.Last year I donated several for our Church Harvest Festival and they sold like HOTCAKES for $2.50 each.

Then I donated Christmas ones for our local Catholic Church Bizarre.They are GREAT selling items and I use up my extra yarn as well.Cost 50 cents apiece to make using Dollar Store towels, and people love them! I actually have nearly 20 made up and ready for selling or gift giving. It's one of those craft items that you can watch tv and do at the same time once you get the hang of it! Thanks Harlean for sharing this with us!

Thank you for the picture of how to start the base row on the towel. I too have always wanted to make these but couldn't find a pattern that explained as well as you have. Happy Crocheting!

Anonymous

So confused. Row 4 says to Dc in each Ch1 space, but there are no Ch1 spaces in row 3. Row 5 says to skip the first Ch1 space, but there are no Ch1 spaces in row 4. Please help me understand this.

It doesn't matter what pattern you use for the first rows connecting to the towel, but you want to make sure you make the long flap (where the button is) long enough to fit around the hook, towel rack, or stove handle where you are planning to hang the towel.

Instead of using a button, try sewing on hook and loop tape (Velcro) to make attaching it to the handle easier.

By Sue B Honey from MI

Crochet tops for kitchen towels are popular craft projects. This example explains how to make a really cute dress pattern towel topper. This is a guide about crocheted dress towel hanger.

Crocheted Dress Towel Hanger

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I received tea towels with a little dress as the top, from my daughter. They are so cute I have called everywhere and have looked on line for the pattern with no luck. I have included a picture of the tea towel. I hope someone could help me.

By Cindy

Answer Was this helpful? 5
Best Answer

http://www.thri  Towel-Guide.html

I am searching for directions for crochet toppers for kitchen towels to hold them on handles for easy reach and for crochet towel rings. Does anyone have these to share? Thanks.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Anonymous
Best Answer

Here is one that I designed.

http://www.thri  1824958.tip.html

Best Answer

I found this website through a search engine.

http://www.croc  sy-towel-topper/

This is very easy to make.

Check out these two sites:

http://www.croc  ternscentral.com (search under Kitchen)

http://www.crochetnmore.com (search under Kitchen)

You'll find lots of stuff listed on these sites!

My mom used to crochet the tops of tea towels. She crocheted on the top of them to create a holder on the top that came down with a loop and a button on it, so it could be hung on the handle of the cabinet or drawers in the kitchen. I do not know how to do this. Does anyone in the thrifty fun audience know how to do this?

I would also like to learn to crochet. How does one go about doing this?

By Catharine

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I dont know how to crochet on top of tea towels though there is a woman in my town who does it and sells them for 3 dollars apeice and they are adorable. Anyway I can say something about learning to crochet. The way I started learning. I bought a kit at walmart called learn to crochet, it has a book, needles, etc. Shows you the basics to learn. Very helpful to me, then I got the crocheting for dummies book, lol.

ok www.freecraftunlimited.com/dishtowel. Has the instructions and as for learning to crochet they do have videos on the computer or you can go to your local library to teach you how. Good luck

You can use a taspry sewing needle which is a plastic needle to do hand sewing to start your beginning part of the base of the top of the hand towel then after you put about maybe 4 or 5 base on the size of the top of the towel start knitting any shape or crocheting any shape you want rectangle is the easiest by knitting together the ends each time you do a line to make the shape go retangly.

When finish sew your favorite or match your color button on the top middle part of the rectangle shape that you did on the hand towel. Then after looking at you have a tea towel topper. I always called those hanging towels. But never knew they were called tea towel toppers. I hope I helped. Pam G.

I am looking for a pattern to crochet a "hanger" onto a cotton hand towel which I have cut in half.

Thanks,
Jan from Richland Center, WI

Go to freepatterns.com and you can find lots of patterns for the towel toppers.

I crochet and sell towels as part of my crafts. Have always been told that they are very nice. I use the smallest hook to punch holes in my towels. Be careful however, I have put the hook through and into my finger. Painful. Please use a thimble.

How do I make a straight crocheted neck to hang a towel, not a flared one? Thanks for your help.

I am looking for a pattern to crochet or knit on to a kitchen towel, to make as gifts.

By Pauline M. from Fort Wayne, IN

I would like instructions for crocheting a dish towel hanger. I want to make the one that has a ring you crochet around with a button attached to hang from either a stove or fridge handle. TIA

By Elaine from White Pigeon, MI

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

A little while ago I sent a request to help me with my dilemna to make a hanging crochet hand towel. I'm very happy with it and very grateful for all the help, the meat fork worked for me! I wanted to place a picture of my towel for you to see.

Kate

Crocheted Hand Towel

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Kate,

This turned out wonderfully. Thanks for sharing the final product.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Would you please share your pattern to make crocheted top for Kitchen towels, also please explain in detail how to get the crocheted stitching started on the towel.

Thank you,

Bobbie Gillette

badgillette @ charter.net (remove spaces)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I too would love the instructions on how to make the towel. I've bought them in the past and would like to make some for Christmas presents for next year. Do you punch holes in the towel in order to begin the crochet row?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm working now on the pattern. I have a habit of just doing what ever works and don't use a pattern. But I'm getting closer to just how I did it and will post it soon! thank you.

kate

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I feel really bad. Ive been trying so hard to put into a pattern that you all could follow. something that makes some kind of sence and i just dont seem to beable to. Im one of those people that just do it and then cant explain how? what I had done was to look at the one I have and follow what I saw. I first folded the towel in half, then again took about an inch or two on either side and folded that to the back, for a nice flow. With the making of the holes. I used a large meat fork. I made each hole then crocheted a single stitch within each hole, until I had reached the end. and after I had made the base of single stitches I just played it by sight. decreasing as I went along. all the time measuring it to the drawer to know how long to make it. I then threaded a large button and tied that onto the top.

I am so sorry for not being able to create something more sensible to be able to follow, thats what happens to me when I try to explain something I just do..I do hope that ive been of some help with my nonsensical "pattern". :(

Reply Like this photo? Yes

You can also just thread the yarn into a very large needle (the larger ones with large eyes) and then whip stitch all the way across the top of the towel. The stitches that are created are great to cast on your first row of single crochets, then you can go from there. This is just a thought.

Sherry French

Reply Like this photo? Yes

how do you get a pattern for how to crochet a kitchen hand towel

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I would like the directions for a crochet dish towel top. The one I saw had a button on to fasten it.

Mahalo,
Judy

Judy from Aiea, HI

Answers:

Crochet Dish Towel Top

bernat.com

You should find that pattern here for free.

(02/28/2007)

By vtsugarldy

Crochet Dish Towel Top

Here is one that I designed.

thriftyfun.com (07/13/2009)

By Fortunately