Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crocheted Towel Topper

This handy craft project allows you to hang your kitchen towel on a bar, kitchen cabinet knob, or oven door. You also could use it to hang a hand towel in a bathroom. This page features several patterns for making a crocheted towel topper.

August 3, 2009 Flag

I like the towel toppers that have a concealed crochet chain so you can hang a towel over the chain without having to cut the towel in half and deal with the cut edge. I also like that type of topper because when the towel gets dirty, but the topper isn't, you can change the towel, and the topper lasts longer because it is washed less often.

I made my leaves with Red Heart 'Frosty Green Fleck', but the topper can be made all in one color or in fall colors like red and green for Christmas or orange and brown for Thanksgiving.

Materials

Leaf Directions (Make 2)

With green, ch 12

(1) (This is the right side of the leaf) Sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 9 ch, in last ch make sc, ch 3 and sc; working along opposite side of staring chain, sc in next 8 ch. Ch 3, turn.

(2) Sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(3) Working in BACK loops of each sc, sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(4 through 8) Repeat row 3. At end of last row, do not turn, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off. (End of leaf pattern.)

With the wrong side of a leaf facing you, and working through both loops of the stitches, attach white yarn with a sl st in the last sc made on row 8. Ch 14, sl st in the first sc made on row 8. (This is the loop for hanging the towel.) Ch 2, turn.

Next, place the second leaf behind the first, wrong sides together. (The hanging chain will be sandwiched between the leaves.) You will be working the next row through both leaves at the same time, which will join them together.

(1) Working through BOTH loops of each sc, sc in next 8 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(2 through 6) This and all remaining rows are worked through BACK loops of each sc. Sc in next 8 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(7) Sl st in next 6 sc, sc in next 3 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(8 through 12) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(13) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 5 and sc (The ch 5 is the button hole.); sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off.

Sew a button just above one of the leaves, in the center.

Source: My own design.

By Fortunately

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much! I love this and it is a great towel holder .

February 19, 2009 Flag

Crochet several of these and put them in handy places throughout your kitchen; on the oven door and the refrigerator handle are the best places for these. My version is different from most since I don't cut the towel in half, but fold it and use the whole towel. I use a bead from the old beaded car seats. However, you may use a large button just as easily.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

Fold towel in half. Using a knitting needle or ice pick, punch holes across the towel through the double thickness to use as a base for the stitches 1/2 inch apart. (See photo)

Base Row: SC in first hole, ch1* SC in next hole, ch1. Repeat from * across. ch2, turn.

2nd Row: DC in each SC (skip the ch1 sts) across, ch2, turn.

3rd Row: Skip one DC,* DC in next DC, Skip next DC. Repeat from *across. ch2, turn.

4th Row: Dc in each ch1 space across ending with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

5th Row: Skip first ch1 space, DC in next space*Skip next space, DC in next space. Repeat from *with DC in turning ch. ch2, turn.

6th Row: DC in each DC across. ch2, turn.

Rows 7-15: Repeat Row 6.

Row 16: DC in first 3 DC, ch2, Skip 1 DC (This makes the button hole) DC in next 3 DC. ch 2, turn.

Row 17: DC in first 3 DC, 1DC in ch2 space, DC in next 3 DC. ch2, turn.

Row 18: SC in each DC across. Fasten off and weave end into your work. Fasten Bead or Button in center of Row 6.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

click_here_to_download_the_crochet_fingertip_towel_instructions_in_pdf_format.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

So confused. Row 4 says to DC in each Ch1 space, but there are no Ch1 spaces in row 3. Row 5 says to skip the first Ch1 space, but there are no Ch1 spaces in row 4. Please help me understand how to crochet into non existent Ch1 spaces.

February 15, 2017 Flag

Crocheted Dress Towel Hanger

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Crochet tops for kitchen towels are popular craft projects. This example explains how to make a really cute dress pattern towel topper. This is a guide about crocheted dress towel hanger.

January 25, 2012 Flag

It doesn't matter what pattern you use for the first rows connecting to the towel, but you want to make sure you make the long flap (where the button is) long enough to fit around the hook, towel rack, or stove handle where you are planning to hang the towel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 4, 2013 Flag

I received tea towels with a little dress as the top, from my daughter. They are so cute I have called everywhere and have looked on line for the pattern with no luck. I have included a picture of the tea towel. I hope someone could help me.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

http://www.thri  Towel-Guide.html

March 7, 2010 Flag

I am searching for directions for crochet toppers for kitchen towels to hold them on handles for easy reach and for crochet towel rings. Does anyone have these to share? Thanks.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Here is one that I designed.

http://www.thri  1824958.tip.html

Best Answer

I found this website through a search engine.

http://www.croc  sy-towel-topper/

This is very easy to make.

Check out these two sites:

http://www.croc  ternscentral.com (search under Kitchen)

http://www.crochetnmore.com (search under Kitchen)

You'll find lots of stuff listed on these sites!

November 26, 2009 Flag

My mom used to crochet the tops of tea towels. She crocheted on the top of them to create a holder on the top that came down with a loop and a button on it, so it could be hung on the handle of the cabinet or drawers in the kitchen. I do not know how to do this. Does anyone in the thrifty fun audience know how to do this?

I would also like to learn to crochet. How does one go about doing this?

By Catharine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I dont know how to crochet on top of tea towels though there is a woman in my town who does it and sells them for 3 dollars apeice and they are adorable. Anyway I can say something about learning to crochet. The way I started learning. I bought a kit at walmart called learn to crochet, it has a book, needles, etc. Shows you the basics to learn. Very helpful to me, then I got the crocheting for dummies book, lol.

ok www.freecraftunlimited.com/dishtowel. Has the instructions and as for learning to crochet they do have videos on the computer or you can go to your local library to teach you how. Good luck

You can use a taspry sewing needle which is a plastic needle to do hand sewing to start your beginning part of the base of the top of the hand towel then after you put about maybe 4 or 5 base on the size of the top of the towel start knitting any shape or crocheting any shape you want rectangle is the easiest by knitting together the ends each time you do a line to make the shape go retangly.

When finish sew your favorite or match your color button on the top middle part of the rectangle shape that you did on the hand towel. Then after looking at you have a tea towel topper. I always called those hanging towels. But never knew they were called tea towel toppers. I hope I helped. Pam G.

February 12, 2016 Flag

How do I make a straight crocheted neck to hang a towel, not a flared one? Thanks for your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 2, 2014 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to crochet or knit on to a kitchen towel, to make as gifts.

By Pauline M. from Fort Wayne, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2007 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to crochet a "hanger" onto a cotton hand towel which I have cut in half.

Thanks,
Jan from Richland Center, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to freepatterns.com and you can find lots of patterns for the towel toppers.

I crochet and sell towels as part of my crafts. Have always been told that they are very nice. I use the smallest hook to punch holes in my towels. Be careful however, I have put the hook through and into my finger. Painful. Please use a thimble.

August 25, 2011 Flag

I would like instructions for crocheting a dish towel hanger. I want to make the one that has a ring you crochet around with a button attached to hang from either a stove or fridge handle. TIA

By Elaine from White Pigeon, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

January 22, 2005 Flag

A little while ago I sent a request to help me with my dilemna to make a hanging crochet hand towel. I'm very happy with it and very grateful for all the help, the meat fork worked for me! I wanted to place a picture of my towel for you to see.

Kate

Crocheted Hand Towel

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

You can also just thread the yarn into a very large needle (the larger ones with large eyes) and then whip stitch all the way across the top of the towel. The stitches that are created are great to cast on your first row of single crochets, then you can go from there. This is just a thought.

Sherry French

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

March 7, 2010 Flag

I would like the directions for a crochet dish towel top. The one I saw had a button on to fasten it.

Mahalo,
Judy

Judy from Aiea, HI

Answers:

Crochet Dish Towel Top

bernat.com

You should find that pattern here for free.

(02/28/2007)

By vtsugarldy

Crochet Dish Towel Top

Here is one that I designed.

thriftyfun.com (07/13/2009)

By Fortunately

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas
Crafts CrochetAugust 30, 2011
Crocheted Bracelet
Making Crochet Jewelry
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Towel Holder
Making a Kitchen Towel Holder
Crocheted Dress Towel Hanger
Crocheted Dress Towel Hanger
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 12:27:40 AM on 10.0.2.140 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.