Crocheted Towel Topper

This handy craft project allows you to hang your kitchen towel on a bar, kitchen cabinet knob, or oven door. You also could use it to hang a hand towel in a bathroom. This page features several patterns for making a crocheted towel topper.

August 3, 2009 Flag

I like the towel toppers that have a concealed crochet chain so you can hang a towel over the chain without having to cut the towel in half and deal with the cut edge. I also like that type of topper because when the towel gets dirty, but the topper isn't, you can change the towel, and the topper lasts longer because it is washed less often.

I made my leaves with Red Heart 'Frosty Green Fleck', but the topper can be made all in one color or in fall colors like red and green for Christmas or orange and brown for Thanksgiving.

Materials

Leaf Directions (Make 2)

With green, ch 12

(1) (This is the right side of the leaf) Sc in 2nd ch from hook; sc in next 9 ch, in last ch make sc, ch 3 and sc; working along opposite side of staring chain, sc in next 8 ch. Ch 3, turn.

(2) Sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(3) Working in BACK loops of each sc, sc in next 9 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(4 through 8) Repeat row 3. At end of last row, do not turn, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off. (End of leaf pattern.)

With the wrong side of a leaf facing you, and working through both loops of the stitches, attach white yarn with a sl st in the last sc made on row 8. Ch 14, sl st in the first sc made on row 8. (This is the loop for hanging the towel.) Ch 2, turn.

Next, place the second leaf behind the first, wrong sides together. (The hanging chain will be sandwiched between the leaves.) You will be working the next row through both leaves at the same time, which will join them together.

(1) Working through BOTH loops of each sc, sc in next 8 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(2 through 6) This and all remaining rows are worked through BACK loops of each sc. Sc in next 8 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 8 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(7) Sl st in next 6 sc, sc in next 3 sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(8 through 12) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 3 and sc; sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, turn.

(13) Sc in next 3 sc, skip next sc, in next sp make sc, ch 5 and sc (The ch 5 is the button hole.); sc in next 3 sc. Ch 3, sl st in last sc used. Fasten off.

Sew a button just above one of the leaves, in the center.

Source: My own design.

By Fortunately

This pattern is great! I'm making up Christmas towels and am using Christmas Green and Red and they look like holly leaves! Thanks for sharing this pattern!

I love this look but I don't understand how it attaches. It's not attached to the towel?

Can you rate the level of ability?

I just started this and mine is already not looking like the picture. Do you have a tutorial video of this so I can follow along? I'm not sure if I'm not doing something correctly or what's going on. I just frogged mine or I would post a picture.

February 19, 2009 Flag

Crochet several of these and put them in handy places throughout your kitchen; on the oven door and the refrigerator handle are the best places for these. My version is different from most since I don't cut the towel in half, but fold it and use the whole towel.

Kitchen towel with crochet top.

November 5, 2009 Flag

Chain 27, join as a circle. Chain 3 and turn. Row 1: Make 2 double crochets in each of the stitches, for a total of 54 around.

Crocheted Dress Towel Hanger

January 4, 2013 Flag

I received tea towels with a little dress as the top, from my daughter. They are so cute I have called everywhere and have looked on line for the pattern with no luck. I have included a picture of the tea towel. I hope someone could help me.

By Cindy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Crocheted-Kitchen-Towel-Guide.html

March 7, 2010 Flag

I am searching for directions for crochet toppers for kitchen towels to hold them on handles for easy reach and for crochet towel rings. Does anyone have these to share? Thanks.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Best Answer

Here is one that I designed.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51824958.tip.html

Best Answer

I found this website through a search engine.

http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-easy-towel-topper/

This is very easy to make.

Check out these two sites:

http://www.crochetpatternscentral.com (search under Kitchen)

http://www.crochetnmore.com (search under Kitchen)

You'll find lots of stuff listed on these sites!

January 22, 2005 Flag

A little while ago I sent a request to help me with my dilemna to make a hanging crochet hand towel. I'm very happy with it and very grateful for all the help, the meat fork worked for me! I wanted to place a picture of my towel for you to see.

Kate

Crocheted Hand Towel

I too would love the instructions on how to make the towel. I've bought them in the past and would like to make some for Christmas presents for next year. Do you punch holes in the towel in order to begin the crochet row?

I'm working now on the pattern. I have a habit of just doing what ever works and don't use a pattern. But I'm getting closer to just how I did it and will post it soon! thank you.

kate

I feel really bad. Ive been trying so hard to put into a pattern that you all could follow. something that makes some kind of sence and i just dont seem to beable to. Im one of those people that just do it and then cant explain how? what I had done was to look at the one I have and follow what I saw. I first folded the towel in half, then again took about an inch or two on either side and folded that to the back, for a nice flow. With the making of the holes. I used a large meat fork. I made each hole then crocheted a single stitch within each hole, until I had reached the end. and after I had made the base of single stitches I just played it by sight. decreasing as I went along. all the time measuring it to the drawer to know how long to make it. I then threaded a large button and tied that onto the top.

I am so sorry for not being able to create something more sensible to be able to follow, thats what happens to me when I try to explain something I just do..I do hope that ive been of some help with my nonsensical "pattern". :(

You can also just thread the yarn into a very large needle (the larger ones with large eyes) and then whip stitch all the way across the top of the towel. The stitches that are created are great to cast on your first row of single crochets, then you can go from there. This is just a thought.

Sherry French

January 25, 2012 Flag

It doesn't matter what pattern you use for the first rows connecting to the towel, but you want to make sure you make the long flap (where the button is) long enough to fit around the hook, towel rack, or stove handle where you are planning to hang the towel.

Instead of using a button, try sewing on hook and loop tape (Velcro) to make attaching it to the handle easier.

By Sue B Honey from MI

November 26, 2009 Flag

My mom used to crochet the tops of tea towels. She crocheted on the top of them to create a holder on the top that came down with a loop and a button on it, so it could be hung on the handle of the cabinet or drawers in the kitchen. I do not know how to do this. Does anyone in the thrifty fun audience know how to do this?

I would also like to learn to crochet. How does one go about doing this?

By Catharine

I dont know how to crochet on top of tea towels though there is a woman in my town who does it and sells them for 3 dollars apeice and they are adorable. Anyway I can say something about learning to crochet. The way I started learning. I bought a kit at walmart called learn to crochet, it has a book, needles, etc. Shows you the basics to learn. Very helpful to me, then I got the crocheting for dummies book, lol.

ok www.freecraftunlimited.com/dishtowel. Has the instructions and as for learning to crochet they do have videos on the computer or you can go to your local library to teach you how. Good luck

You can use a taspry sewing needle which is a plastic needle to do hand sewing to start your beginning part of the base of the top of the hand towel then after you put about maybe 4 or 5 base on the size of the top of the towel start knitting any shape or crocheting any shape you want rectangle is the easiest by knitting together the ends each time you do a line to make the shape go retangly.

When finish sew your favorite or match your color button on the top middle part of the rectangle shape that you did on the hand towel. Then after looking at you have a tea towel topper. I always called those hanging towels. But never knew they were called tea towel toppers. I hope I helped. Pam G.

April 17, 2007 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to crochet a "hanger" onto a cotton hand towel which I have cut in half.

Thanks,
Jan from Richland Center, WI

Go to freepatterns.com and you can find lots of patterns for the towel toppers.

I crochet and sell towels as part of my crafts. Have always been told that they are very nice. I use the smallest hook to punch holes in my towels. Be careful however, I have put the hook through and into my finger. Painful. Please use a thimble.

March 7, 2010 Flag

I would like the directions for a crochet dish towel top. The one I saw had a button on to fasten it.

Mahalo,
Judy

Judy from Aiea, HI

Answers:

Crochet Dish Towel Top

bernat.com

You should find that pattern here for free.

(02/28/2007)

By vtsugarldy

Crochet Dish Towel Top

Here is one that I designed.

thriftyfun.com (07/13/2009)

By Fortunately

Crafts CrochetAugust 30, 2011
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Towel Holder
Making a Kitchen Towel Holder
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas
🎉
🎄