Use Wash Water To Flush

Here's a tip to save money on water I bet you have never thought of. Keep a dish pan in your sink and after you use the loo, but before you flush, wash your hands in the sink, (over the dish pan) and use that water to flush with. It usually gets everything down and you save water on a flush. It's one of the ways to pinch pennies without feeling the pinch. If you don't want guests to see the dish pan, simply remove it and hide it under the sink before they come.

By Jenny K from Conyers, GA

Jenny -- what a good idea! We're in a drought situation now on the southwest coast of Florida, so I'm going to try this -- I already save water as it goes from cold to hot for showers and before running the dishwasher. That water, which amounts to more than 5 gallons a day, goes in our swimming pool and/or waters our potted palms and topiary trees.

Nancy in Nokomis, FL

We are in the middle of a very bad drought in Australia and can only water our gardens once a week. We have been collecting shower water in a bucket and placing it on the garden. We also keep a plastic bowl in the bathroom and kitchen sinks, and use this water on the garden as well. Some people use the water to flush their toilets like you do. We also use our laundry water to water the garden, and my garden is thriving.

I use the water from my air conditioner to water out side plants. It's easy I keep a 5gallon pail to collect the water and use it as I need it. Happy Gardening

I must run my dehumidifier almost all summer. It's not connected directly to a drain so I have to empty it twice a day. I use the collected water to water plants on my deck that need to be waterd just about every day. I pour the water into a water can that I keep on the deck right by the door. A savings and it's not water down the drain!

Great tip! I never would have thought of that. Don't forget about using cooled cooking water to water your plants!

dripping faucet
Saving Money on Your Water Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterApril 30, 2007
Vegatables being washed in a sink.
Homemade Vegetable Wash Recipes
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line