Compost Pile Smells Bad

I recently started composting. I like the idea of not being so wasteful but the smell of the pile is starting to get to me. Not to mention the bugs! I realize the stuff is trash and trash draws bugs and smells bad but I can't help but think there must be some way to cut down on the unpleasantness of it all. Thank you for your help.

By collinsmom from NJ

Most odor problems often result from either too much moisture, which causes the compost to compact and loose oxygen flow or too much green/nitrogen rich material which off-gas smelly odors (or both). Adding bulky brown/carbon rich material will help absorb the excess moisture and nitrogen rich gasses. You can just add the browns to the top of the compost bin, but if odors persist, you may have to mix the browns in throughout the pile, where the bulky material will help keep the pile oxygenated.

Well.. compost piles shouldn't smell. I lived in far northwest Washington and the procedure I used was out of the squre foot gardening book. there is a site now as well:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ ... erything-youd-ever-need-to-know.html

Babbie's comments are from :

http://www.compostinfo.com/tutorial/faq/FAQ-Q2A.htm Good luck

Thank you debit4857 for adding the link I neglected to add.

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingMay 18, 2009
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
Compost Pile
Starting a Compost Pile
🎉
🎄