How to Compost Shredded Paper

Category Composting
Once shredded, unglossy paper is a great addition to a compost pile, where moisture and worms will turn it into a rich soil addition. This is a guide about how to compost shredded paper.

When you empty out your paper shredder, put the shredded paper in the compost pile.

By djxn from Colfax, CA

Top Comment

This is excellent advice. I have 5 gallon bucket (with lid!) in my kitchen that I put food scraps, leftover coffee/tea, and all paper that isn't shiny to dump on my compost pile. Paper is excellent "brown" material, including receipts, paper bags, newspaper, thin cardboard.

Top Comment

I compost mine too. However, I soak mine first in water in order to help the paper break down easier in the compost pile.

Top Comment

My shredder is a 'cross cut' type and the paper is actually like confetti. I use this as mulch in my garden, bedding for my worms and the 'brown' in my cold compost pile.

I use the term 'cold compost' for the pile that I am actually pretty lazy about. My worms are the best at really getting the composting done!

Be sure the ink on the paper you plan to compost is non-toxic.