Cleaning the Chimney

How often should you get your chimney professionally cleaned? Should I have it done annually or will once every two years be enough? During the winter season, I probably start a fire twice weekly.

By Mike from Washington DC

Stores like Home Depot have things for do it yourself.Just ask a clerk.Also,have you heard of "java logs"? They're made from re-cycled coffee grounds and burn clean and smell wonderful. :)

In my honest opinion, if you burn good dry hardwood [no pine] no more than you are using it, every 3 to 5 years should be often enough. they sell an item that you burn once in a while that is supposed to help reduce the build up. I have used fire all my life and never had a chimney cleaned, nor have I had a chimney fire.

December 2, 2010 Flag

If you have a fireplace or wood burning stove, it is the time of year to have your chimney cleaned and inspected. Keeping your chimney maintained can help increase the efficiency of your stove and also helps prevent chimney fires.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Fireplaces and StovesDecember 2, 2010
Photo of the exterior of a house.
Finding the Source of Black Soot in a House
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Brick Chimney
Saving Money on Chimney Cleaning