Pets Drinking the Christmas Tree Water

My dog is drinking the water in the Christmas tree basin. Is this toxic? This is a recent thing. He has kidney disease so I'm thinking it may be medicinal. Could it be harmful to him ?

Lisa

DON'T LET YOUR DOG DRINK this water! Christmas trees are fertilized to make them grow faster. They also are sprayed to keep the pests and blight off them. This leeches in to the water and your dog is drinking fertilizer and pesticides!! To keep the dog out, take a plastic lid, such as a margarine or ice cream pail lid. Cut a slit to the middle, and then cut out a circle in the middle the size of the tree trunk. Slip this around the tree trunk and lower it so it covers the water container. You may have to tape it down to keep the dog out.

Just put some plastic around the tree and fasten it together. It seems like a simple fix to me. I would not let my dog drink the water either, besides the tree needs it!

Why not put a plastic bag covering the tree stand, tape it down to prevent the dog drinking? If you put any thing in your water to preserve your tree a pet can be harmed. Also for cats, please forget the tinsel and other stuff they might play with and eat. New kitties and puppies don't mix with the holidays and all the confusion! Wait till calmer times to get a pet. Ever try to house break a puppy when it's below zero? Better yet if your child wants a pet, give them a picture, when the time is right go to a local shelter to adopt.

Yes, it's toxic. The water must be covered up. Possibly your dog feels that this water is fresher than the water in his bowl. I recently read that a dog's water should be changed 3 x day.

I would not let the dog drink the water from the Christmas tree. Between the potential for pesticides and not knowing if a normal tree is toxic, it seems like a bad idea, especially for a pet with health problems.

About 2 years ago, we bought a small version of the Cat It Water Fountain for our cats because they kept turning over their plastic water bowl and played with the water rather than drinking it. The fountain constantly filters the water and actually encourages them to drink more. It is also a lot heavier than a plastic water bowl and they can't turn it over. Our cats love it and I don't think they would even go back to just plain water bowls any more. The small version we got for them was about $20.00, I think.

http://www.hage  ter_fountain.cfm

finished marker
Cork Plant Markers
Pets SafetyDecember 20, 2009
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 6:31:09 PM on 10.0.0.44 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.