Is A/C Condensation Water Safe for a Dog to Drink?

Category Health
The cool water condensing and dripping from your air conditioner unit may be enticing to your pets, but perhaps not a good source of water for drinking. This is a guide about, "Is A/C condensation water safe for a dog to drink?".

Is condensation water from the A/C pipe safe for a dog to drink?

By kraftykaren

Answers

Provided there isn't any oil, solvents or other toxic stuff in the AC /pipes, I don't see why not, it will essentially be distilled water anyway. Most dogs drink from puddles which are far from clean. They have really tough digestive systems.

Not really. The water runs through aluminum fins and is filled with all kinds of pollution from that as well as the dust from the air which even a clean filter will not stop all. I would not allow my dogs do this. It is definitely not distilled!

Since I don't know what all might be in that water, but feel certain that it's not clean, I'd rather my dog not drink it. I realize that when outside, they may drink worse, but that worse can sometimes kill them (anti-freeze etc). I would much prefer providing fresh water that I know is clean for my pets.

Pookarina

Your dog definitely should not be drinking this water. It is carrying pollutants from the pipes and system to be combined with the bacteria that forms in the container that is catching the water. Then the dog's saliva only adds contamination to the water. This water is great for your plants that need watered but not the dog! Your dog deserves fresh, clean drinking water (just what you would drink) everyday in a container that is cleaned every day to eliminate the build up of saliva. This is one sure way to show your love for your dog!