Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch

Category Watches
Condensation can build up inside a watch that is exposed to water or extreme humidity. This is a guide about removing condensation from inside a watch.

I have a beautiful Swiss Marin automatic watch. By accident it fell into a river and got wet inside, it took three days to dry out, but now it is not working. I opened it from the back and also when I shake it it starts running and in 10 seconds it stops again. I love this watch and need it in running form:'(

It is my favorite watch. What should I do?

Answers

Best Answer

If the back of the watch comes off, use a blow dryer on low heat to dry the inside of the watch -- works wonders. If possible, do this outside in super cold weather so that you end up with the lowest possible dew point inside your watch when you are done. Allow the watch to cool before you put it back together.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I put watch face down on a bed of saltin a small tuperware container closed tight,let sit for 2 days and moisture was gone

I bought a watch not realizing it was not water resistant. It got wet and now has condensation on the glass. How do I get rid of the condensation?

Sharon from Mililani, HI

Answers

this used to happen all the time when i was a dishwasher and forgot about the watch...used to let in sit in the sunshine or blow dryer would clear it up and than it would start to go once again, good luck

If the back pops off of the watch (for battery replacement) take that off and blow dry the watch.

Put the watch in a small covered container with 1/4 cup uncooked rice. Let sit overnight. The rice draws out the moisture. The watch will work again.

used to happen all the time with a timex. I would dip my arm down in swim pool to check readings. It just dried out on its own, always kept working

If you can pop the back off, do it and let it air dry. I've done this more than once. lol

I had the this problem and was told by someone in a jewelry dept. to take the back off and let it air dry for a few days. It worked!!!

You could always place it above a reading lamp, or for that matter any lamp in the house and in a few hours the head from the lamp will dry it out.

Manila, Philippines: the rice solution works. I couldn't get the back off the watch. In the absence of any watch repair shops in the area, I put the watch in rice in a bag and left it in the sunlight for 24 hours. Result, no more condensation in the watch. Thanks for the suggestion.

How can i remove condensation from inside a watch?

By Rob J from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Not sure if this will work but... I know that if you drop your cell phone in water and put it in a jar of rice (uncooked), the rice draws the moisture out of the phone. I've done it and it worked. You might try it with your watch.

Try leaving it on a sunny window sill for a few hours.