Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Killing Weeds With Vinegar

What ratio of vinegar and orange oil would you use to kill weeds?

By Leroy

By Melissa M. [25]03/05/2011

I don't use Orange Oil, I just use full strength Vinegar, it cheap and work good. The only thing I might change would be adding something to thicken it so it doesn't run off, maybe cornstarch or something.

By Dottie Baltz03/04/2011

You can also use boiling water to kill weeds.

By katrina [5]02/26/2011

Spraying straight vinegar on weeds kills them; be sure to do only when the wind is not blowing!

Here are questions related to Killing Weeds With Vinegar.

Question: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

When someone said to use vinegar for weeds, do they mean the white vinegar or not?

By Yang

Most Recent Answer

By fay [1]05/12/2012

For weeds in general, I use 1 gallon of white vinegar, 2 cups of table salt, and 8 drops of dawn dish soap. Pour about 2 cups from the gallon of vinegar, set aside, add the salt, cover and shake until you no longer see the salt. Add the dawn and shake again. Pour into your sprayer for use. Take care when spraying as it will kill flowers too.

Add the 2 cups of vinegar to a hand sprayer add water to the top, plus about 4 drops of dawn. Now you have a good all purpose household cleaner.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

I need to know what percentage is used to kill weeds with vinegar and water. I still want to grow some plants at a later time. How much should they be saturated?

Thanks,
Judtz from Deerbrook, WI

Answers:
RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar 06/22/2006
When I spray the sidewalk cracks and such I use straight vinegar but be sure not to get it on things you want to live. Saturate welll as to get the roots, the weeds will turn brown and die. In a couple days you just pluck the brown above ground, if you see new sprouts then the root wasn't penetrated and you simply repeat the process.
By Barbie
RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar 06/24/2006
You need 20%. I used 5% and it killed dandelions when it was straight. I've never been able to find 20%, I was told you could get it at the garden centers.
By jbaby7162000

Archive: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Question:

When using vinegar as a weed killer, will it kill grass and /or plants such as lambs ear? If so, what do you recommend using to kill the weeds and not the plants or grass? Thanks so much!

Val from Terre Haute, IN

Answer:

Val,

Vinegar is non-selective, meaning it will kill anything it comes into contact with. This is usually limited to the above ground growth on a plant, which is why repeated applications are often necessary to completely kill weeds. How much damage a "desirable" plant sustains from contact with vinegar depends entirely on the amount of its exposure to it.

The reason using vinegar is so popular is because it's inexpensive. It also doesn't have any permanent negative long-term effects on the soil, although it does alter its ability to support growth in the short term. The distilled vinegar commonly found in grocery stores is usually a weak concentration (5 %), so it's considered safe for use around children and pets.

Higher concentrations of vinegar (20%) are available at some home or garden centers, but they can cause eye and skin irritation and should be used with extreme caution. I don't know of any "earth-friendly" chemicals that work on weeds without also harming grass and desirable plants.

Surrounding weeds with a coffee can (bottom and top removed) or another type of barrier will prevent the vinegar from drifting onto desirable plants while your spraying. You can "paint" vinegar on individual weeds to avoid damaging grass. To prevent weeds from emerging on your lawn while simultaneously fertilizing it, try to time an application of corn gluten meal to coincide with emerging weeds.

Ellen

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Hormoban will kill weeds but not the surrounding grass and plants. (07/10/2006)

By Willem

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

20% vinegar is dangerous - it burns skin and eyes. See the joint statements from Washington and Oregon State Universities extension service at this web address. http://www.oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/acetic_acid_factsheet.pdf - (07/16/2006)

By NW Native Plant Fan

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Try using 10% vinegar. It's safer and works better. (09/01/2006)

By Bill C.

Archive: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Can you use vinegar to kill weeds? I need an inexpensive remedy to kill weeds.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By gperz from Old Saybrook, CT

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Yes, you can! The very best vinegar to use is the stronger type you purchase at plant nurseries. It has a stronger acid concentration, but regular vinegar will also work (any type) and if you heat it up it works even better. Another thing that will work for one season is plain old boiling water. (05/15/2009)

By Cyinda

Archive: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

How do I use vinegar to kill weeds in my lawn?

By Frankiel from Plano, TX

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Just pour it straight on the weeds, but try not to get the grass or flowers, it will kill them too. (Pour in a small stream if possible). (06/15/2010)

By thriftyvicki

RE: Killing Weeds With Vinegar

I've tried using vinegar, but our weeds just laugh at it. :-( (06/15/2010)

By WildIrish