Hair Coloring Product Reviews and Advice

I have never colored my hair before but I think I would like to. I want to do it at home with a product that is not permanent. I do not want to have dark roots showing. My hair is dark brown with reddish highlights and I would like to make it a little lighter than what it is now.

Can anyone suggest a GOOD product that won't dry out and ruin my hair and leave my hair with a good color and in nice condition?

Thanks,
Michelle

Revlon colorsilk was recommended to me a number of years ago by a professional hairdresser. It is very gentle to my hair which is fine and dry. Hopes this helps

PLease go to a hair supply store like Salleys the ladies will tell you what to buy and how to do it, and it's what the hair salons buy. Trust me on this its the only place i go for hair color.. texascow AT hotmail.com

I am a licensed cosmetologist in IL and I would like to let you know that the ladies at Sallys are not usually educated on any hair service. And not very many newer hair stylists use sallys products. There are many more improvements in products at a real beauty supply store open to only professionals who have had extensive training on the use of hair coloring chemicals. They can be very dangerous, storebought or salon use. Please dont put your hair in their hands. You said you wanted to go lighter, but be temporary or semi-permanent so you dont have to live with something u dont like for forever. With a color product like that you cannot lighten, but you can change tone or go darker. A product that will lift the level-degree of lightness or darkness (lighten)-uses peroxide (usually) to remove "your" pigment from the hair shaft. Therefore if you take it out it is not temporary unless you add it back in with a coloring product. It is smarter to go to a salon and explain your needs, but it is definately expensive. If you want I can help you e-mail me at beatyfamily AT charter.net and good luck!

Hi Michelle, I am a salon owner as well as a hairstylist. Trish gave you some good advice, the ladies at Salley's can always help you choose the right product for your hair. What I can tell you is that you can't lighten your hair with a product that isn't permanent and here is why. Any product that has the power to lighten your hair does that by removing the color and once it's gone it's gone. It is a permanent thing until you put a darker color back on. So you could still lighten it a little like you want to do and when you get tired of it you could just darken it back up to your natural color, which wouldn't hurt your hair at all. If you go someplace like Salley they can help you pick the right product to do what you want and the right product to get you back to square one later on. Something I would suggest is maybe doing some highlights to get the lighter color, they grow out nicely without giving those harsh dark roots and you wouldn't necessarily have to bother with darkening it back up later on. If you have any questions you can email me at elainabellarosallini @ yahoo.ca (remove spaces)

Pam

My sis is a licensed cosmo. and I do my own hair.

I use Garnier product found in drug stores or WAlMART. I use a Chestnut brown color very pretty

shade and has not damaged my hair. Follow directions or call the 800 # on the box for more tips/advice. Just keep it conditioned and my one

oops was the time I decided to go DARK brown and

WOW it turned BLACK and did not suit me at all.

I have brown hair and like the Chestnut Brown color

from Garnier or clariol is anothe great one to use.

Good luck have fun and enjoy!

I recently bought some offbrand hair color for $1, the every day price at Save a Lot grocery store. The only color it comes in is blonde, but if you are brunette like I am, with lots of grey it worked just fine for me. All it did was lighten it up some and covered the grey hairs which was my goal. I had been paying $3 at Dollar general for hair color, and then lucked onto this. I find none of them last very many weeks anyway, so this at the $1 beats them all.

A woman dying her own hair.
Coloring Hair at Home
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMay 25, 2006
A person coloring their hair.
Saving Money on Coloring Your Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
🎉
🎄