Re-Dyeing Hair After Removing Color

Category Coloring
After having the color removed from your hair, you may have to wait a little while before getting it dyed again. This is a guide about re-dyeing hair after removing color.

I just recently went to the salon and got black stripped out of my hair and had them dye it back to a light brown. How long should I wait to dye my hair again? I was wanting to dye it Burgundy with blonde underneath.

By PandaKiwi from Bedford, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Deciding how long to wait to re-dye your hair depends on several factors. If you apply more hair dye too soon, it could cause severe damage to the hair follicles, leaving your hair dry and brittle. Dyeing your hair again too soon can also cause you to choose the wrong color to re-apply, as the condition of your hair may cause it to absorb more or less of the color.

The Conditions:
First you need to think about why you want to re-dye your hair already. Is the color wrong? If it is too dark, try washing your hair several more times to see if it will lighten up. Maybe the change in your appearance just takes some getting used to. Give it a couple of days before you make any decisions regarding re-dying your hair.

Before you actually decide to re-dye your hair, look at the overall condition of the hair. If the hair appears dry and brittle with a lot of split ends, you should consider conditioning it before applying any more chemicals. More chemicals now will only worsen the damage. Soak your hair in a quality hot oil treatment or a quality conditioner before you do anything.

If your hair has been dyed by a professional salon and looks to be in good condition you can re-dye it after a couple of weeks. It would be best to return to the same salon, considering the fact that your first results were good. The quality of dyes, shampoos and conditioners used in salons are usually better than what we use at home.

Products:
If you have dyed your hair at home with good results, be sure to use the same brand of dye that you used the first time. Always stick with something you are pleased with. Cheaper hair dyes may be harsher on your hair and will result in damage that may require a professional's help to repair.

Wait as long as possible between hair colorings. The longer you wait the less your hair and skin is exposed to harsh chemicals. You should never re-dye your hair if the first coloring resulted in burning skin or any rashes in the scalp. This could be an allergic reaction to something in the dye. Check with a professional stylist.

Professional Help:
If you are at all unsure about dying your hair at home, you should have it done in a salon by someone who is used to working with hair dye. Using the wrong dye, or not applying it correctly, could leave your hair looking much worse than you think it did originally.

Hair dye is a chemical, and you should always handle it safely. Avoid getting the solution in your eyes, and make sure you are in a well ventilated area when you apply it to your hair. The dye will stain clothing and anything else it spills on as easily as it dyes your hair.

Once the dye has been applied to your hair and thoroughly rinsed out, follow up by using a quality shampoo and conditioner that are made for dyed hair. This will insure that your hair remains in the best condition possible. Good luck.

I just used radical color remover on my hair to remove a pink color and I got it from Sally's beauty salon. I have the new dyes I want to use, but I don't know if I should do it today or wait till Monday at least.

Answers

Best Answer

Go ahead and do it be sure to use conditioner.

Leave on overnight so you do not dry out your hair.

How long should I wait to use a hair dye remover after dyeing my hair?

Answers

I would wait a few weeks, and deep-condition weekly.

At the very least two.

I used a color remover for semi permanent color (vol20) and applied a new semi color (purple). It came out in different tones and patchy.

I bought a permanent (brown) at the store for cover up. Is it safe to use same day as color removal?

Answers

Deep-condition first, then apply. This is a two-step process, and is done in salons all the time. Why don't you use a semi-permanent color first, to make sure you like the color?

In the future, two-step processes are best left to professionals.

I would use a semi permanent first and deep condition.

I tried to remove the hair dye from my hair with a store bought hair color remover and it turned out really bad. How long should I wait to re-dye it?

By kayla

Answers:

Re-Dyeing Hair After Removing Color

Deciding how long to wait to re-dye your hair depends on several factors. If you apply more hair dye too soon, it could cause severe damage to the hair follicles, leaving your hair dry and brittle. Dying your hair again too soon can also cause you to choose the wrong color to re-apply, as the condition of your hair may cause it to absorb more or less of the color.

The Conditions:

Products:

Professional Help:

Once the dye has been applied to your hair and thoroughly rinsed out, follow up by using a quality shampoo and conditioner that are made for dyed hair. This will insure that your hair remains in the best condition possible. Good luck. (04/13/2010)

By kathleen williams